Limited Time: British Airways Adds 50,000 More Business Class Award Seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to take a trip to London or beyond, you’re in luck: British Airways just announced that it’s “made more than 50,000 extra reward seats available for its Executive Club members” in the airline’s Club World international business-class cabin.
This additional availability is only good through Dec. 2 — if it lasts that long — and is good for flights from Dec. 16, 2018, to March 31, 2019. The terms and conditions specifically note that award space has been opened on the following routes:
- London Gatwick (LGW): Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando Las Vegas, San Jose (Costa Rica), New York JFK and Mauritius
- London Heathrow (LHR): Abuja, Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Dubai, Durban, Houston, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Miami, Montreal, Moscow, Nairobi, Nashville, New Orleans, New York JFK, New York EWR, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio de Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, CA, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Seychelles, Shanghai, Singapore, Tel Aviv, Tokyo NRT, Toronto, Vancouver and Washington.
Although BA’s announcement focuses on opening this award availability to British Airways members, we are also seeing this award space available through American Airlines and other BA partners. Even on some of the routes with the tightest award availability — such as Los Angeles (LAX) to London Heathrow (LHR) — have business-class availability for 4+ passengers on every day for weeks:
Also available: British Airways’ all-business-class flight between New York (JFK) and London City (LCY). Read our full review of that unique flight.
British Airways isn’t exactly known for an incredible business-class product. The most recent redesign was nearly 13 years ago. That’s changing soon, with a new product debuting in BA’s A350 starting July 2019. But, even then, it’ll take a while to be retrofit on existing aircraft. Until then, you’ll be flying in an aging product that’s laid out in up to a 2-4-2 arrangement.
The other issue with British Airways awards are the significant fees and absurd
fuel surcharges. There are some techniques to reduce the out-of-pocket cost by booking two one-way award flights instead of round-trip or booking awards through a partner like Cathay Pacific Asia Miles.
Another great use of this award availability is to book a “World Traveller Plus” premium economy revenue flight and use Avios to upgrade from premium economy to business class. This using requires a reasonable amount of Avios and a small difference in taxes and fees.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.