Limited Time: British Airways Adds 50,000 More Business Class Award Seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to take a trip to London or beyond, you’re in luck: British Airways just announced that it’s “made more than 50,000 extra reward seats available for its Executive Club members” in the airline’s Club World international business-class cabin.
This additional availability is only good through Dec. 2 — if it lasts that long — and is good for flights from Dec. 16, 2018, to March 31, 2019. The terms and conditions specifically note that award space has been opened on the following routes:
- London Gatwick (LGW): Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando Las Vegas, San Jose (Costa Rica), New York JFK and Mauritius
- London Heathrow (LHR): Abuja, Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Dubai, Durban, Houston, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Miami, Montreal, Moscow, Nairobi, Nashville, New Orleans, New York JFK, New York EWR, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio de Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, CA, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Seychelles, Shanghai, Singapore, Tel Aviv, Tokyo NRT, Toronto, Vancouver and Washington.
Although BA’s announcement focuses on opening this award availability to British Airways members, we are also seeing this award space available through American Airlines and other BA partners. Even on some of the routes with the tightest award availability — such as Los Angeles (LAX) to London Heathrow (LHR) — have business-class availability for 4+ passengers on every day for weeks:
Also available: British Airways’ all-business-class flight between New York (JFK) and London City (LCY). Read our full review of that unique flight.
British Airways isn’t exactly known for an incredible business-class product. The most recent redesign was nearly 13 years ago. That’s changing soon, with a new product debuting in BA’s A350 starting July 2019. But, even then, it’ll take a while to be retrofit on existing aircraft. Until then, you’ll be flying in an aging product that’s laid out in up to a 2-4-2 arrangement.
The other issue with British Airways awards are the significant fees and absurd
fuel surcharges. There are some techniques to reduce the out-of-pocket cost by booking two one-way award flights instead of round-trip or booking awards through a partner like Cathay Pacific Asia Miles.
Another great use of this award availability is to book a “World Traveller Plus” premium economy revenue flight and use Avios to upgrade from premium economy to business class. This using requires a reasonable amount of Avios and a small difference in taxes and fees.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees