Avianca LifeMiles back up and running, amazing deals available again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sunday evening we reported that Avianca LifeMiles was experiencing a complete system outage. There was no way to make, modify or view reservations or even check account balances online or over the phone.
TPG readers wrote in saying that they were experiencing similar issues for several days. Avianca LifeMiles customer service agents did not have an idea of when the website would be live again. With little information why and no end in sight, things were not looking good for fans of this undervalued program.
Fortunately, the technical issue has now been resolved and Avianca LifeMiles is back up and fully operational.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
If you’re unfamiliar with the program, it’s worth getting to know. LifeMiles is a great way of scoring Star Alliance awards for cheap. Some hidden gems in the program include transcontinental lie-flat United business-class flights for 25,000 miles, one-way to Europe in Lufthansa business class for 63,000 miles and one-way to Europe in Lufthansa first class for 87,000 miles. Even better, the program doesn’t charge any close-in ticketing fees or fuel surcharges.
Aside from reasonable redemption rates, it offers somewhat regular promotions — both for buying miles and booking awards. Other ways to pick up LifeMiles include Avianca’s “Club LifeMiles” monthly subscription plan and transferring them from one of four major transferable currencies:
- American Express Membership Rewards (1:1 ratio, instant transfer time)
- Capital One (2:1.5 ratio, instant transfer time)
- Citi ThankYou Rewards (1:1 ratio, instant transfer time)
- Marriott Bonvoy (3:1 with a 5,000-mile bonus for transferring 60,000 points, under 24-hour transfer time)
Further reading: Everything you need to know about Avianca LifeMiles
Featured image by Alejandra Parra/Bloomberg/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.