Avianca LifeMiles back up and running, amazing deals available again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sunday evening we reported that Avianca LifeMiles was experiencing a complete system outage. There was no way to make, modify or view reservations or even check account balances online or over the phone.
TPG readers wrote in saying that they were experiencing similar issues for several days. Avianca LifeMiles customer service agents did not have an idea of when the website would be live again. With little information why and no end in sight, things were not looking good for fans of this undervalued program.
Fortunately, the technical issue has now been resolved and Avianca LifeMiles is back up and fully operational.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
If you’re unfamiliar with the program, it’s worth getting to know. LifeMiles is a great way of scoring Star Alliance awards for cheap. Some hidden gems in the program include transcontinental lie-flat United business-class flights for 25,000 miles, one-way to Europe in Lufthansa business class for 63,000 miles and one-way to Europe in Lufthansa first class for 87,000 miles. Even better, the program doesn’t charge any close-in ticketing fees or fuel surcharges.
Aside from reasonable redemption rates, it offers somewhat regular promotions — both for buying miles and booking awards. Other ways to pick up LifeMiles include Avianca’s “Club LifeMiles” monthly subscription plan and transferring them from one of four major transferable currencies:
- American Express Membership Rewards (1:1 ratio, instant transfer time)
- Capital One (2:1.5 ratio, instant transfer time)
- Citi ThankYou Rewards (1:1 ratio, instant transfer time)
- Marriott Bonvoy (3:1 with a 5,000-mile bonus for transferring 60,000 points, under 24-hour transfer time)
Further reading: Everything you need to know about Avianca LifeMiles
Featured image by Alejandra Parra/Bloomberg/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees