Austrian Airlines Unveils Updated, Modern Livery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Austrian Airlines has revealed a new paint job that it will apply to its fleet over the coming years. Just two months after Lufthansa introduced a new livery, Austrian, which is actually a subsidiary of the Lufthansa Group, will be getting a makeover of its own.
The airline shared renderings of what the new livery will look like on one of its Boeing 777s.
For comparison, here’s the old livery on a 777:
The six major changes to the new livery appear to be the change of font and size in which “Austrian” is written, the expansion of red on the tail of the aircraft, the bolding of the Austrian chevron on the tail and removal of the logo’s shadow, the elimination of the chevron toward the nose of the aircraft and the transformation of the engines and underbelly of the aircraft from blue to white (although the Austrian greeting “Servus” will remain on the aircraft belly).
The airline appears to be sticking with the theme of the old livery, just updating it with a more modern, clean feel. It’s not as dramatic of a switch as Lufthansa’s or American Airlines‘.
In fact, Austrian said in its announcement that its “aim is to meet the demands of the digital world and thus be more modern.” The entire Austrian brand is getting a makeover, too, so you’ll see updated branding throughout the entire Austrian experience like in its mobile app or when you check-in at the airport.
The old check-in desks are at the top, while the image on the bottom shows what it will look like in the future:
Just like Lufthansa, the first aircraft to receive the updated branding will be a wide-body. This May, Austrian will roll out the new paint job on a Boeing 777-200ER, registration OE-LPF, in Vienna (VIE). The aircraft, which Austrian started leasing in January, is currently in Hong Kong under going the updates.
The airline says it will take about seven years for all of its aircraft to be repainted, but 18 out of its fleet of 82 will feature the new livery by summer 2019.
Note that Austrian is a Star Alliance member, so if you want to fly on one its updated birds — you can use United or Air Canada Aeroplan miles to book a ticket with the carrier.
Featured image courtesy of Austrian Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees