Austrian Airlines Joins the Retro-Colors Craze With New 80s’ Livery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just days after British Airways made waves by flying a Boeing 747 sporting the 1960s-vintage livery of its predecessor BOAC, another airline revealed an airplane painted to resemble the jets of days gone by.
Austrian Airlines has unveiled its vintage-style Airbus A320, painted in the company’s 1980s colors, which joins the ranks of other airplanes crossing European and American skies today but looking like they’re out of a documentary from decades ago. “It was the age of Ronald Reagan, Perestroika and MTV,” Austrian Airlines said in a statement, referencing the ’80s and mentioning “the good old days” — seemingly proving that the retro-airplane trend is about nostalgia as much as marketing.
The Airbus A320 spent nine days in a hangar in Bratislava, Slovakia, getting decked out in its retro red and white livery. The complete exterior paint of the jet weighs in at about 120 kilograms (264 lbs) and consists of three layers. The vintage-style A320 arrived at Vienna Airport (VIE) on Sunday night, and began regular service connecting Vienna with other European cities the next day.
While also being a nod to the past, Austrian said in a statement the aircraft livery is a homage to Tokyo and New York City, two important cities for the airline. Austrian’s first real long-haul widebody airplanes, two Airbus A310s delivered in the 1980s, were named Tokyo and New York. While service to both cities has experienced some brief interruptions in the past, this year will mark Austrian’s 30th year of service to Tokyo and its 50th year to New York.
Avgeeks — if you want to follow where the Austrian aircraft, which has the Austrian registration OE-LBO, is headed next, you can follow its journeys here. It won’t be seen in American skies as it is a short-haul jet. Austrian flies Boeing 767s and 777s to North America, and since it’s a member of Star Alliance, you can earn and redeem United Airlines miles on its flights.
Featured image courtesy of Austrian Airlines / Emmanuel Schawaller
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees