Austrian Airlines gives Boston first-ever nonstop route to Vienna
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boston is the hot market for new flights to Europe with Austrian Airlines set to join the fray next year, adding what will be the city’s first-ever nonstop route to Vienna.
The Star Alliance carrier will begin flights between cities on March 29, Austrian said Wednesday. The service will initially operate four times a week before increasing to six-times weekly in mid-April.
Austrian will fly a Boeing 767-300ER on the route. The aircraft is equipped with 25 business class — known for the airline’s onboard “Flying Chef” who prepares meals for the front cabin — 18 premium economy, and 167 economy seats.
The Massachusetts Port Authority that runs Boston Logan (BOS) confirmed to TPG that the route will be the airport’s first regularly scheduled commercial service to Vienna (VIE).
The Lufthansa Group carrier joins American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and low-cost carrier LEVEL in adding links between Boston and Europe in 2020. American plans a London Heathrow (LHR) flight, Delta London Gatwick (LGW) and Rome (FCO) flights, and LEVEL a Paris Orly (ORY) flight.
Austrian’s new route also reaffirms a recent OAG forecast that Boston will become the third-largest gateway to Europe on the U.S. East Coast next year. Logan is on track to leapfrog both Miami (MIA) and Washington Dulles (IAD) in terms of departing seats.
United Airlines partners with Austrian in the U.S.
Featured image by Javier Rodriguez / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.