Australian Doctor Killed by a Shark off the Coast of Queensland
A 33-year-old doctor was killed by a shark off the coast of Queensland, Australia, on Monday. This marks the third shark attack in less than two months at Whitsunday Island’s Cid Harbor, according to local reports.
Dr. Daniel Christidis, a urologist and researcher at Melbourne’s Austin Hospital rented a yacht with 10 friends for a five-day cruise through Whitesunday Islands, a police inspector told the New York Post. The shark attacked after Christidis jumped in the water to give a woman a turn on a paddle board.
The groups’ boat was anchored 10 miles off-shore, and French-speaking tourists sent a dinghy from their yacht to pull Christidis onto his own. The New York Post reported that most of the friends on board had medical backgrounds, and two were doctors.
— Austin Health (@Austin_Health) November 6, 2018
Christidis was airlifted to the Mackay Base Hospital, but he could not sustain the attack.
“CPR was ongoing for a very long time and every solid effort was made to save that man’s life,” the police inspector told the New York Post. “They did everything imaginable to try to save the man. It’s just — the injuries were so severe.”
According to a local news site, Queensland Tourism Minister Kate Jones declined any decisions for permanent drum lines in Cid Harbor — despite the three attacks in the past six weeks. Jones claimed the drum lines would not guarantee swimmer safety.
Fisheries Minister Mark Furner told the local news outlet that no-one should swim in Cid Harbor at any time.
“We can’t be clearer — don’t swim in Cid Harbor,” he said.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees