Australian Doctor Killed by a Shark off the Coast of Queensland
A 33-year-old doctor was killed by a shark off the coast of Queensland, Australia, on Monday. This marks the third shark attack in less than two months at Whitsunday Island’s Cid Harbor, according to local reports.
Dr. Daniel Christidis, a urologist and researcher at Melbourne’s Austin Hospital rented a yacht with 10 friends for a five-day cruise through Whitesunday Islands, a police inspector told the New York Post. The shark attacked after Christidis jumped in the water to give a woman a turn on a paddle board.
The groups’ boat was anchored 10 miles off-shore, and French-speaking tourists sent a dinghy from their yacht to pull Christidis onto his own. The New York Post reported that most of the friends on board had medical backgrounds, and two were doctors.
— Austin Health (@Austin_Health) November 6, 2018
Christidis was airlifted to the Mackay Base Hospital, but he could not sustain the attack.
“CPR was ongoing for a very long time and every solid effort was made to save that man’s life,” the police inspector told the New York Post. “They did everything imaginable to try to save the man. It’s just — the injuries were so severe.”
According to a local news site, Queensland Tourism Minister Kate Jones declined any decisions for permanent drum lines in Cid Harbor — despite the three attacks in the past six weeks. Jones claimed the drum lines would not guarantee swimmer safety.
Fisheries Minister Mark Furner told the local news outlet that no-one should swim in Cid Harbor at any time.
“We can’t be clearer — don’t swim in Cid Harbor,” he said.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.