Would you run 26 miles to get 4,200 miles?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Listen: People have quirky ways for earning points and miles. From watching shows on Broadway to mailing flowers to your significant other, points and miles enthusiasts are innovative when it comes to earning and burning.
But did you know you can run for miles, literally?
If you’re running in the Authentic Athens Marathon in Greece on Nov. 9-10 you have the chance to earn a decent amount of Aegean miles — just for participating!
Here’s what you need to know.
You’ll just enter your registration or bib number in the form. After completing the race, you’ll earn miles depending on which run you took part in:
- Marathon Race – 4,200 award miles
- 10 km Road Race – 1,000 award miles
- 5 km Road Race – 500 award miles
That means that if you were running the Marathon race (for the non-runners out there, that’s 26 miles) you’d earn 160 redeemable miles for each mile you run. While I love fun ways to earn points and miles, unfortunately, I will not be participating because the only time I run anywhere is to catch the subway.
Of course, there are some fine-print details you should know about. The promotion is valid from Oct. 7– Nov. 30 and runners may not claim their miles retroactively. Runners can only sign up for one Athens Authentic Marathon race. The miles granted are award miles and not tier miles towards Aegean status. You must be a Miles+Bonus member to participate.
If you’re not familiar, Aegean Airlines is Greece’s largest airline by passenger count and fleet size. We’ve written before about Aegean, which is a Star Alliance member. The airline used to offer lifetime Star Alliance status, but unfortunately, that ended in 2014.
Its award chart has some spectacular values, but note the fuel surcharges on some awards. Of particular note are round-trip business-class awards within North America (which includes the Caribbean) for just 42,000 miles, and from North America to Europe and Central or South America in business class for just 90,000 miles round-trip.
Featured photo courtesy of THIBAUD MORITZ/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees