These are the only long-haul routes American, Delta, Hawaiian and United plan to fly in April
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: The routes listed below are based on schedules as of 4 p.m. ET on April 3, 2020.
U.S. carriers have dramatically pared their schedules amid the rapidly expanding novel coronavirus pandemic that threatens to halt much of the global airline industry.
With most cuts either already in place, the global reach of U.S. airlines will be smaller in April than in any time in recent history. American Airlines will fly just three long-haul routes in April. Delta Air Lines will ground more than two-thirds of the carrier for several months, and United Airlines has lopped off 90% of international capacity.
U.S. airlines have kept some international flights on their schedules to Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and northern South America. But their schedule of true long-haul flights on wide-body jets has been slashed, and many of those aircraft being sent to storage or repurposed as freighters.
These are the remaining long-haul routes to Africa, Asia-Pacific, Europe and far South America that U.S. carriers were scheduled to fly in April as of 4 p.m. ET Friday, April 3.
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – London Heathrow (LHR) and Tokyo Narita (NRT)
- Miami (MIA) – London Heathrow
- Atlanta (ATL) – Amsterdam (AMS) and London Heathrow
- Detroit (DTW) – Amsterdam and Seoul Incheon (ICN)
- Seattle Tacoma (SEA) – Seoul Incheon and Tokyo Haneda (HND)
Hawaiian has suspended all long-haul international flying.
- Houston – São Paulo Guarulhos (GRU)
- Newark – Frankfurt (FRA), London Heathrow and Tel Aviv (TLV)
- San Francisco – Sydney and Tokyo Narita
The above routes may change again as demand for air travel remains dynamic and countries implement additional border controls.
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) director general Alexandre de Juniac said March 17 that airlines around the world will need more than $200 billion in aid to weather the cash crunch from the crisis. Even with this support, the industry will likely see consolidation and bankruptcies.
Featured image by GREG BAKER/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees