A Roundup of 2018’s Travel Related April Fools’ Jokes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some people love April Fools Day, while others can’t stand it. Regardless of your feelings on the matter, it’s a holiday that’s become tough to avoid, especially in recent years as companies have gotten in on the joke with their own online pranks.
With April 1 falling on a Sunday in 2018, we didn’t see quite as many airlines and hotels pulling April Fools jokes as we did last year — a fact that some folks will greatly appreciate. But if you were thumbing through social media during the weekend, you may have run into one of these bits from several travel companies you know.
An Unparalleled View From Emirates SkyLounge
Tired of those little airplane cabin windows? Emirates promises its new 777X SkyLounge will feature “unmatched aerial views and unparalleled luxury.” Has the airline double checked if Boeing is on board with this concept?
Virgin Australia Launches In-Flight Spin Classes
The airline says you’ll even earn Virgin Australia frequent flyer points for every kilometer you cycle, so “the harder you spin, the more you’ll grin.”
Southwest Launches Its Own Proprietary Version of Alexa
With voice assistants showing up in kitchens and living rooms across the country, it’s no surprise that Southwest would try to get in on the action with SWAlexa.
Forget Airbnb, Now You Can Just Share a Stranger’s Bed With ShareBED
Lucid Mattress might not be a travel company, but it’s ready to compete with both Airbnb and the hotel heavyweights.
Nervous About Flying? DFW Airport Has a New Therapy Chameleon
Just hang on a second, he’s here somewhere…
Walt Disney World Introducing Kale Churros
According to the theme park company, it’s invented a new food that’s “one part kale, one part churro, equal parts amazing.”
Aviation News Website AirlineGeeks Buying Its Own Boeing 737 MAX 8
The site is made up of an all-volunteer staff of 25 members, which explains why the plane will only need “six business class seats in a 1-1 configuration and ten EconomyExtended® seats in a 2-2 configuration.”
Hong Kong Airlines Launches Roasted Duck and Barbecue Pork Cart
We’re definitely going to need a few more of those little packaged wet-naps.
New Elite Priority Pass Benefit For the NYC Subway
And finally, if you stopped by The Points Guy early on Sunday morning, you might have read about the new Priority Pass perk for New York City commuters…
Gotta give those folks at Priority Pass some credit — they’re thinking outside the box.
Featured image by Ildo Frazao/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees