A Roundup of 2018’s Travel Related April Fools’ Jokes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some people love April Fools Day, while others can’t stand it. Regardless of your feelings on the matter, it’s a holiday that’s become tough to avoid, especially in recent years as companies have gotten in on the joke with their own online pranks.
With April 1 falling on a Sunday in 2018, we didn’t see quite as many airlines and hotels pulling April Fools jokes as we did last year — a fact that some folks will greatly appreciate. But if you were thumbing through social media during the weekend, you may have run into one of these bits from several travel companies you know.
An Unparalleled View From Emirates SkyLounge
Tired of those little airplane cabin windows? Emirates promises its new 777X SkyLounge will feature “unmatched aerial views and unparalleled luxury.” Has the airline double checked if Boeing is on board with this concept?
Virgin Australia Launches In-Flight Spin Classes
The airline says you’ll even earn Virgin Australia frequent flyer points for every kilometer you cycle, so “the harder you spin, the more you’ll grin.”
Southwest Launches Its Own Proprietary Version of Alexa
With voice assistants showing up in kitchens and living rooms across the country, it’s no surprise that Southwest would try to get in on the action with SWAlexa.
Forget Airbnb, Now You Can Just Share a Stranger’s Bed With ShareBED
Lucid Mattress might not be a travel company, but it’s ready to compete with both Airbnb and the hotel heavyweights.
Nervous About Flying? DFW Airport Has a New Therapy Chameleon
Just hang on a second, he’s here somewhere…
Walt Disney World Introducing Kale Churros
According to the theme park company, it’s invented a new food that’s “one part kale, one part churro, equal parts amazing.”
Aviation News Website AirlineGeeks Buying Its Own Boeing 737 MAX 8
The site is made up of an all-volunteer staff of 25 members, which explains why the plane will only need “six business class seats in a 1-1 configuration and ten EconomyExtended® seats in a 2-2 configuration.”
Hong Kong Airlines Launches Roasted Duck and Barbecue Pork Cart
We’re definitely going to need a few more of those little packaged wet-naps.
New Elite Priority Pass Benefit For the NYC Subway
And finally, if you stopped by The Points Guy early on Sunday morning, you might have read about the new Priority Pass perk for New York City commuters…
Gotta give those folks at Priority Pass some credit — they’re thinking outside the box.
Featured image by Ildo Frazao/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.