Anti-American Bathroom Bomb Threat Forces United Flight to Land in Ireland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Flight 971 was diverted to Ireland on Monday afternoon after a bomb threat was found scrawled in the plane’s bathroom, according to reports.
The message discovered on the bathroom mirror included an anti-American slogan and mentioned a bomb.
The Boeing 767-300ER, bound for Chicago from Rome with 207 passengers and 11 crew, was forced to turn back about 125 miles west of Ireland, landing at Shannon Airport (SNN) at 1:42pm local. After everyone disembarked at 2:15pm, police searched the plane, which was kept on the tarmac at distance from the terminal and other aircraft, according to a Garda spokesman.
“The passengers have disembarked and the plane and passengers are in the process of being searched,” a statement from the Irish police organization said.
Police were reported to have collected handwriting samples from the passengers on board.
United put the passengers up for the night at local hotels, and is expected to fly them to Chicago at 3:00pm Tuesday on a replacement flight.
“United flight UA971, en route to Chicago from Rome, diverted to Shannon following a potential security concern,” a United Airlines statement read. “Additional security screenings will be performed on all customers and baggage, and we will work to get customers on their way to Chicago as quickly as possible.”
Featured image, of a United 767 taking off from Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG), courtesy of Andia/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees