Anti-American Bathroom Bomb Threat Forces United Flight to Land in Ireland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Flight 971 was diverted to Ireland on Monday afternoon after a bomb threat was found scrawled in the plane’s bathroom, according to reports.
The message discovered on the bathroom mirror included an anti-American slogan and mentioned a bomb.
The Boeing 767-300ER, bound for Chicago from Rome with 207 passengers and 11 crew, was forced to turn back about 125 miles west of Ireland, landing at Shannon Airport (SNN) at 1:42pm local. After everyone disembarked at 2:15pm, police searched the plane, which was kept on the tarmac at distance from the terminal and other aircraft, according to a Garda spokesman.
“The passengers have disembarked and the plane and passengers are in the process of being searched,” a statement from the Irish police organization said.
Police were reported to have collected handwriting samples from the passengers on board.
United put the passengers up for the night at local hotels, and is expected to fly them to Chicago at 3:00pm Tuesday on a replacement flight.
“United flight UA971, en route to Chicago from Rome, diverted to Shannon following a potential security concern,” a United Airlines statement read. “Additional security screenings will be performed on all customers and baggage, and we will work to get customers on their way to Chicago as quickly as possible.”
Featured image, of a United 767 taking off from Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG), courtesy of Andia/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.