This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tens of thousands of travelers flying through Europe on July 25 and 26 will see their flights canceled as Ryanair’s cabin crews go on strike for that two-day stretch.
The Dublin-based carrier canceled 600 flights in Belgium, Spain and Portugal due to staffers’ planned strikes over pay and work conditions in those countries. Up to 50,000 passengers of the low-cost airline will be affected each day, about 12% of Ryanair’s total daily flyer capacity, a major logistical blow during the peak summer travel period.
Ryanair said 24% of its daily flights to and from Spain will be affected, as well as 27% of those to and from Portugal and 31% of those to and from Belgium. That adds up to 12% of flights all over Europe that will be affected. Italian cabin crew were also reportedly threatening to join the strike, too. The carrier says it has contacted all affected passengers, and customers will either be re-accommodated or refunded.
The two-day cabin crew demonstration is the latest in a string of strikes for the budget airline, which began recognizing unions in December 2017 after employee demonstrations caused a wave of canceled flights and put operations in crisis. Ryanair pilots in Ireland are also currently striking as well.
The airline’s cabin crew employees issued a list of 34 demands, making requests like “more predictable working hours,” “not being forced to open an Irish bank account” and “a fair living wage that reflects the work we do.”
The airline contends that this latest strike is “unjustified” given the cabin crew members’ pay and working conditions.
H/T: The Independent
Featured image by Manuel Queimadelos Alonso/Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that