This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tens of thousands of travelers flying through Europe on July 25 and 26 will see their flights canceled as Ryanair’s cabin crews go on strike for that two-day stretch.
The Dublin-based carrier canceled 600 flights in Belgium, Spain and Portugal due to staffers’ planned strikes over pay and work conditions in those countries. Up to 50,000 passengers of the low-cost airline will be affected each day, about 12% of Ryanair’s total daily flyer capacity, a major logistical blow during the peak summer travel period.
Ryanair said 24% of its daily flights to and from Spain will be affected, as well as 27% of those to and from Portugal and 31% of those to and from Belgium. That adds up to 12% of flights all over Europe that will be affected. Italian cabin crew were also reportedly threatening to join the strike, too. The carrier says it has contacted all affected passengers, and customers will either be re-accommodated or refunded.
The two-day cabin crew demonstration is the latest in a string of strikes for the budget airline, which began recognizing unions in December 2017 after employee demonstrations caused a wave of canceled flights and put operations in crisis. Ryanair pilots in Ireland are also currently striking as well.
The airline’s cabin crew employees issued a list of 34 demands, making requests like “more predictable working hours,” “not being forced to open an Irish bank account” and “a fair living wage that reflects the work we do.”
The airline contends that this latest strike is “unjustified” given the cabin crew members’ pay and working conditions.
H/T: The Independent
Featured image by Manuel Queimadelos Alonso/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees