This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers passing through New Jersey’s Newark Airport (EWR) on Friday could have possibly been exposed to measles.
The New Jersey Department of Health says an international traveler carrying the highly infectious virus arrived at EWR’s Terminal B on Friday, Sept. 28, on a flight from Tel Aviv (TLV). The unidentified man was contagious that day, the state’s health department says, and he could have been in other areas of the airport, too.
Anyone who was in Newark Airport on Friday between 5:30am and 10:30am could have potentially been exposed to the measles virus. Exposed passengers could develop symptoms of the disease — which include high fever, cough, rash, runny nose, watery eyes — until Oct. 19. More serious symptoms, like encephalitis — a swelling of the brain — and pneumonia, can also occur in a measles infection, NJDOH says. Luckily, two doses of a measles vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing the illness, according to New Jersey state epidemiologist Dr. Christina Tan.
A similar exposure happened at EWR earlier this year. In January, Newark flyers were exposed to measles for 11 hours. And in March, two cases of the disease were confirmed in passengers who traveled through Newark (EWR), Detroit (DTW) and Memphis (MEM) airports. A Southwest flight to Texas had a similar outbreak scare in September.
Featured image of Newark Airport by Nicolas Jehly via Unsplash.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees