Another Case of Measles Exposure at Newark Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers passing through New Jersey’s Newark Airport (EWR) on Friday could have possibly been exposed to measles.
The New Jersey Department of Health says an international traveler carrying the highly infectious virus arrived at EWR’s Terminal B on Friday, Sept. 28, on a flight from Tel Aviv (TLV). The unidentified man was contagious that day, the state’s health department says, and he could have been in other areas of the airport, too.
Anyone who was in Newark Airport on Friday between 5:30am and 10:30am could have potentially been exposed to the measles virus. Exposed passengers could develop symptoms of the disease — which include high fever, cough, rash, runny nose, watery eyes — until Oct. 19. More serious symptoms, like encephalitis — a swelling of the brain — and pneumonia, can also occur in a measles infection, NJDOH says. Luckily, two doses of a measles vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing the illness, according to New Jersey state epidemiologist Dr. Christina Tan.
A similar exposure happened at EWR earlier this year. In January, Newark flyers were exposed to measles for 11 hours. And in March, two cases of the disease were confirmed in passengers who traveled through Newark (EWR), Detroit (DTW) and Memphis (MEM) airports. A Southwest flight to Texas had a similar outbreak scare in September.
Featured image of Newark Airport by Nicolas Jehly via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.