This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers passing through New Jersey’s Newark Airport (EWR) on Friday could have possibly been exposed to measles.
The New Jersey Department of Health says an international traveler carrying the highly infectious virus arrived at EWR’s Terminal B on Friday, Sept. 28, on a flight from Tel Aviv (TLV). The unidentified man was contagious that day, the state’s health department says, and he could have been in other areas of the airport, too.
Anyone who was in Newark Airport on Friday between 5:30am and 10:30am could have potentially been exposed to the measles virus. Exposed passengers could develop symptoms of the disease — which include high fever, cough, rash, runny nose, watery eyes — until Oct. 19. More serious symptoms, like encephalitis — a swelling of the brain — and pneumonia, can also occur in a measles infection, NJDOH says. Luckily, two doses of a measles vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing the illness, according to New Jersey state epidemiologist Dr. Christina Tan.
A similar exposure happened at EWR earlier this year. In January, Newark flyers were exposed to measles for 11 hours. And in March, two cases of the disease were confirmed in passengers who traveled through Newark (EWR), Detroit (DTW) and Memphis (MEM) airports. A Southwest flight to Texas had a similar outbreak scare in September.
Featured image of Newark Airport by Nicolas Jehly via Unsplash.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards