This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers passing through New Jersey’s Newark Airport (EWR) on Friday could have possibly been exposed to measles.
The New Jersey Department of Health says an international traveler carrying the highly infectious virus arrived at EWR’s Terminal B on Friday, Sept. 28, on a flight from Tel Aviv (TLV). The unidentified man was contagious that day, the state’s health department says, and he could have been in other areas of the airport, too.
Anyone who was in Newark Airport on Friday between 5:30am and 10:30am could have potentially been exposed to the measles virus. Exposed passengers could develop symptoms of the disease — which include high fever, cough, rash, runny nose, watery eyes — until Oct. 19. More serious symptoms, like encephalitis — a swelling of the brain — and pneumonia, can also occur in a measles infection, NJDOH says. Luckily, two doses of a measles vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing the illness, according to New Jersey state epidemiologist Dr. Christina Tan.
A similar exposure happened at EWR earlier this year. In January, Newark flyers were exposed to measles for 11 hours. And in March, two cases of the disease were confirmed in passengers who traveled through Newark (EWR), Detroit (DTW) and Memphis (MEM) airports. A Southwest flight to Texas had a similar outbreak scare in September.
Featured image of Newark Airport by Nicolas Jehly via Unsplash.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees