This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines and their dress code requirements for non-revenue passengers have caused a lot of controversy in past years. Remember last year’s #LeggingsGate when United created a stir on social media after denying boarding two “non-rev” female passengers from boarding because they were wearing leggings? Last week, an American Airlines passenger went on an angry social media rant after the airline denied her boarding.
Non-revenue passengers fly on stand-by because a friend or family member works for a particular airline company, but American had a strict dress code policy used to prevent these passengers from boarding their planes if a passenger is not properly clothed. Last year, the airline decided to relax its dress code policy and allows passengers to wear whatever they want — as long as the clothing is “neat and clean” and does not “offend or distract.”
So when a non-rev passenger tried boarding an American flight from Miami to New York in tattered, ripped denim shorts, the airline told her her outfit was inappropriate. The passenger, Nardia Bennet, followed up by posting a 28-minute live stream berating American and its employees.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees