This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the saying goes “He who plots to hurt others often hurt themselves” when it comes to revenge. That was the case for this IndiGo Airlines crew member who reported a fake bomb threat aboard a Mumbai-bound flight on May 2.
A 23-year-old airline customer service agent, Kartik Madhav Bhat, was arrested in Pune after authorities said he called in the hoax bomb threat as ‘an act of revenge’ to his employer, IndiGo airline.
Bhat made the hoax call to New Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) — IndiGo Airline’s primary hub — saying there was a bomb on board the airline’s flight to Mumbai. IndiGo staff took the call seriously and issued an alert, which initiated a two-hour screening of passengers and cargo area of the Mumbai-bound aircraft. As a result, several Mumbai-bound flights from DEL airport were checked before the threat was confirmed to be a hoax.
Bhat made the call because he was reportedly depressed and frustrated with IndiGo after he received a warning for his poor performance working for the airline. The police conducted an investigation and arrested Bhat after tracking him down by the SIM he used to make the call. He eventually confessed his involvement in the case, according to local media reports.
“On sustained interrogation, the accused confessed that he had done this as an act of revenge as the airlines had given him a verbal notice to improve his performance in three months or face departmental action. He was reportedly depressed due to this and made this call out of frustration,” police added.
IndiGo Airline has suspended Bhat, however, no additional details regarding his arrest have been released.
H/T: Business Insider
Featured image by Shutterstock.com.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees