Angered IndiGo Airlines Employee Makes Fake Bomb Threat
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the saying goes “He who plots to hurt others often hurt themselves” when it comes to revenge. That was the case for this IndiGo Airlines crew member who reported a fake bomb threat aboard a Mumbai-bound flight on May 2.
A 23-year-old airline customer service agent, Kartik Madhav Bhat, was arrested in Pune after authorities said he called in the hoax bomb threat as ‘an act of revenge’ to his employer, IndiGo airline.
Bhat made the hoax call to New Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) — IndiGo Airline’s primary hub — saying there was a bomb on board the airline’s flight to Mumbai. IndiGo staff took the call seriously and issued an alert, which initiated a two-hour screening of passengers and cargo area of the Mumbai-bound aircraft. As a result, several Mumbai-bound flights from DEL airport were checked before the threat was confirmed to be a hoax.
Bhat made the call because he was reportedly depressed and frustrated with IndiGo after he received a warning for his poor performance working for the airline. The police conducted an investigation and arrested Bhat after tracking him down by the SIM he used to make the call. He eventually confessed his involvement in the case, according to local media reports.
“On sustained interrogation, the accused confessed that he had done this as an act of revenge as the airlines had given him a verbal notice to improve his performance in three months or face departmental action. He was reportedly depressed due to this and made this call out of frustration,” police added.
IndiGo Airline has suspended Bhat, however, no additional details regarding his arrest have been released.
H/T: Business Insider
Featured image by Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees