ANA Will Start Charging to Select Economy Seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japanese airline ANA is making negative changes to its seat selection and online reservation process, introducing the option to pay for seat selection in select fare classes.
Starting May 29 passengers purchasing tickets in V, W, S, L and K fare classes will have to pay additional fees to select certain seats for flights departing from August 19th and onward.
The seats to be selected for a fee are marked in yellow and red in the image below. They are composed of window, aisle or bulkhead seats and mostly in the front half of the economy cabin. The change could be worse, as there still are window and aisle seats toward the back of the coach cabin that can be chosen for free, as well as middle seats toward the front (shown in blue).
ANA says that the change came about “based on customer feedback” and that it will help passengers who book their tickets closer to departure (read: business travelers) a chance to select a better seat. Really, it’s just another way for the airline to increase revenue on ancillary fees.
While it’s unfortunate to see this change, especially considering the airline is known for its great economy product, it follows in the footsteps of many large airlines who are starting to charge for seat selection in economy even on longer international flights.
Featured image of courtesy of JT Genter / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees