ANA Will Start Charging to Select Economy Seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japanese airline ANA is making negative changes to its seat selection and online reservation process, introducing the option to pay for seat selection in select fare classes.
Starting May 29 passengers purchasing tickets in V, W, S, L and K fare classes will have to pay additional fees to select certain seats for flights departing from August 19th and onward.
The seats to be selected for a fee are marked in yellow and red in the image below. They are composed of window, aisle or bulkhead seats and mostly in the front half of the economy cabin. The change could be worse, as there still are window and aisle seats toward the back of the coach cabin that can be chosen for free, as well as middle seats toward the front (shown in blue).
ANA says that the change came about “based on customer feedback” and that it will help passengers who book their tickets closer to departure (read: business travelers) a chance to select a better seat. Really, it’s just another way for the airline to increase revenue on ancillary fees.
While it’s unfortunate to see this change, especially considering the airline is known for its great economy product, it follows in the footsteps of many large airlines who are starting to charge for seat selection in economy even on longer international flights.
Featured image of courtesy of JT Genter / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.