ANA Slashing Unlimited Premium Economy Upgrades, Adding Mileage Upgrades
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Many US-based travels who frequently visit Asia have historically worked to maintain ANA status primarily because of the unlimited premium economy upgrades they receive on ANA flights. Premium economy provides a more spacious seat, more storage and oftentimes better service than economy. But, changes recently announced by ANA may encourage these travelers to change their loyalty.
ANA currently offers passengers the ability to place a bid to upgrade from economy to premium economy on international flights. The bidding process lasts from seven to three days before departure, with all upgrades confirmed at least one day before. Then, ANA Diamond Service, Platinum Service and Super Flyers members can be upgraded for free into any remaining seats at check-in.
ANA elites will continue to receive these complimentary upgrades from economy to premium economy until September 30, 2019. Then, from October 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020, ANA will begin its Premium Economy Complimentary Upgrade campaign. During this campaign, ANA will continue to offer these elites complimentary upgrades from economy to premium economy using a reservation system.
From April 1, 2020 onward, ANA will begin offering international upgrade awards. This means elites will need to use upgrade points or miles to upgrade. Upgrade points are special points earned by ANA elite members that can only be used for seat upgrades or lounge access. Previously, upgrade points were only used for upgrades to premium economy on domestic flights or to business class or first class on international flights.
Although the international upgrade award system will give elites more control over when they are upgraded — and non-elites the ability to upgrade using points — it is bad news for ANA elites that maintained ANA elite status primarily for international upgrades. These elites will now be limited in the number of upgrades they can receive with their upgrade points — and they’ll almost certainly see a decrease in the percentage of flights they’re able to fly in premium economy.
Featured photo by Christopher Jue/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees