ANA Manager Fired After Drunkenly Injuring Fellow Flyer
The Paris branch manager for All Nippon Airways (ANA) has resigned after drunkenly injuring a fellow passenger en route to Japan.
Kenji Sugino, 52, had consumed six glasses of wine in business class on board ANA Flight 216 from Paris (CDG) to Tokyo (HND) on October 2. Details are unclear, but Sugino became inebriated four hours into the flight and ended up inflicting a cervical vertebrae sprain on his seatmate, a woman in her 50s. The victim was taken to a hospital after the plane landed at Haneda. The circumstances of the incident are not otherwise clear.
Sugino, who has worked for ANA since 1988, was ordered to resign — or fired outright, according to a different source — on October 5 as a result of “professional misconduct.” ANA also released a public apology “from the bottom of our hearts.”
The airline’s disciplinary actions extended beyond Sugino’s forced resignation (or firing.) CEO Yuji Hirako and Chairman Shinya Katanozaka both reduced their salaries by 20% for one month as a gesture of personal responsibility. Furthermore, ANA employees have been prohibited from consuming alcohol in airport lounges and on board flights.
TPG reached out to ANA but had not heard back at he time of publication.
Featured photo by Yoshikazu Tsuno/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.