ANA Manager Fired After Drunkenly Injuring Fellow Flyer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Paris branch manager for All Nippon Airways (ANA) has resigned after drunkenly injuring a fellow passenger en route to Japan.
Kenji Sugino, 52, had consumed six glasses of wine in business class on board ANA Flight 216 from Paris (CDG) to Tokyo (HND) on October 2. Details are unclear, but Sugino became inebriated four hours into the flight and ended up inflicting a cervical vertebrae sprain on his seatmate, a woman in her 50s. The victim was taken to a hospital after the plane landed at Haneda. The circumstances of the incident are not otherwise clear.
Sugino, who has worked for ANA since 1988, was ordered to resign — or fired outright, according to a different source — on October 5 as a result of “professional misconduct.” ANA also released a public apology “from the bottom of our hearts.”
The airline’s disciplinary actions extended beyond Sugino’s forced resignation (or firing.) CEO Yuji Hirako and Chairman Shinya Katanozaka both reduced their salaries by 20% for one month as a gesture of personal responsibility. Furthermore, ANA employees have been prohibited from consuming alcohol in airport lounges and on board flights.
TPG reached out to ANA but had not heard back at he time of publication.
Featured photo by Yoshikazu Tsuno/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees