This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to know a way to grow your airline? Order the largest passenger jet on the planet. Japanese airline ANA’s first Airbus A380 rolled off the assembly line today, marking a pivotal moment in the airline’s, and aircraft’s, history.
The jet will undergo ground, and eventually flight, tests in Toulouse, France, home to Airbus’ headquarters and assembly plant. After the tests it will head to Hamburg where Airbus will install the interior — turning a hollow metal tube into a cabin with two floors.
Airbus will deliver ANA’s first A380 in early 2019, which ANA will operate on the Tokyo – Honolulu (HNL) route. In the theme of the Hawaiian Islands, the aircraft will be decked out in a ‘Flying Honu’ turtle livery.
ANA will be the first and only Japanese airline to fly the super jumbo, of which it will eventually fly three.
The initial plans for the aircraft’s interior include 520 seats across four cabins: economy, premium economy, business and first class.
You’ll find eight of the airline’s legendary first class seats and 56 seats in business.
While Airbus has delivered a total of 229 A380s, the program is still in jeopardy. A recent order by Emirates for 36 A380s saved it for the time being, but the airline manufacturer is struggling to find new customers for the jumbo jets.
Featured image courtesy of F. Lancelot / Airbus / Twitter.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees