This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to know a way to grow your airline? Order the largest passenger jet on the planet. Japanese airline ANA’s first Airbus A380 rolled off the assembly line today, marking a pivotal moment in the airline’s, and aircraft’s, history.
The jet will undergo ground, and eventually flight, tests in Toulouse, France, home to Airbus’ headquarters and assembly plant. After the tests it will head to Hamburg where Airbus will install the interior — turning a hollow metal tube into a cabin with two floors.
Airbus will deliver ANA’s first A380 in early 2019, which ANA will operate on the Tokyo – Honolulu (HNL) route. In the theme of the Hawaiian Islands, the aircraft will be decked out in a ‘Flying Honu’ turtle livery.
ANA will be the first and only Japanese airline to fly the super jumbo, of which it will eventually fly three.
The initial plans for the aircraft’s interior include 520 seats across four cabins: economy, premium economy, business and first class.
You’ll find eight of the airline’s legendary first class seats and 56 seats in business.
While Airbus has delivered a total of 229 A380s, the program is still in jeopardy. A recent order by Emirates for 36 A380s saved it for the time being, but the airline manufacturer is struggling to find new customers for the jumbo jets.
Featured image courtesy of F. Lancelot / Airbus / Twitter.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees