ANA commits to up to 20 more Boeing 787 Dreamliners
All Nippon Airways is going back to Boeing for more 787 Dreamliners, committing to up to 20 more of the jet at a time when the planemaker is eager for orders.
The Japanese carrier has agreed to acquire one 787-9 and 11 787-10s, and placed options for a further five -9s, Boeing said Tuesday. ANA will also take three new 787-9s from Atlantis Aviation Corporation, a relatively unknown company believed to be among the planemaker’s unidentified buyers.
Related: Flight review: ANA (787-8) business class from Brussels to Tokyo
The deal is Boeing’s first new order of 2020, and comes less than a month after it decided to cut 787 production to just 10 aircraft a month. The planemaker cited uncertainty in its outlook for new aircraft, particularly in Asia.
ANA’s order will buoy its already large 787 fleet. The airline operated 71 Dreamliners, including 36 787-8s, 33 787-9s and two 787-10s, at the end of December, its latest fleet plan shows.
The carrier will use the new 787-10 order to replace older domestic Boeing 777s in its fleet. ANA operated 20 777-200s and 35 777-300ERs at the end of December.
“These planes represent a significant step forward for ANA as we work to make our entire fleet even more eco-friendly and further reduce noise output,” ANA executive vice president Yutaka Ito said in a statement.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees