Amtrak is eyeing a new route in the Southern US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak executives are starting the year off with a bang.
Reports are surfacing that Amtrak wants to launch a route from Nashville to Atlanta, with stops in Chattanooga, Murfreesboro and Tullahoma.
The idea is in the early stages, though, as the federal government would need to create a grant program for the states first. CSX Corporation, the railroad owner, would also need to add more passenger trains. Amtrak is a federally owned corporation and pitched the idea earlier this week at a House Transportation panel meeting.
If all goes according to plan, it will be Nashville’s first Amtrak route. Ray Lang, Amtrak’s government affairs director, noted that the route would be six-and-a-half hours, with rides twice a day from both cities.
Amtrak has been surging in popularity as of late. Even if you take a handful of trips a year, do yourself a favor and make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck out of your trips. Our handy guide on the best credit cards for train travel will have you racking up the points/miles before you can say “All aboard.” Our top picks are the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x), Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x) and Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (2x miles).
No matter how often you ride the rails, don’t be one of the people who makes these 11 common mistakes when taking a cross-country Amtrak.
In the meantime, we’ll be looking forward to the new Acela interiors set to launch next year.
Featured image by Malcolm MacGregor/Getty Images.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees