Amtrak expands service ahead of busy holiday travel season
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last Thanksgiving, Amtrak experienced its largest passenger count to date with over 846,000 riders on its trains across the country. In anticipation for another record-breaking week of travel, Amtrak plans to run extra trains on several routes to better accommodate and serve more travelers.
In the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak is adding extra trains which will allow them to operate a full and extended schedule with additional frequencies. This includes the Amtrak Acela and the Northeast Regional. The Amtrak Keystone Service, Pennsylvanian and Empire Service will offer extended holiday capacity with additional trains along the Keystone and Pennsylvanian Service from Nov. 25 — Dec. 2.
As for the Midwest, Amtrak will be adding extra cars to existing trains to offer more capacity along the Wolverine Service, Hiawatha, Pere Marquette, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Saluki and Illini routes from Nov. 26 — Dec. 2. There will also be extra service to some Downstate Illinois cities.
If you are a Sleeping Car, Business Class customer or a top-tier Amtrak Guest Rewards member traveling out of Chicago Union Station, you will enjoy access to the Metropolitan Lounge and preboarding. Coach customers are also invited to purchase day passes to the lounge.
Finally, on the West Coast Amtrak will also be adding additional cars to the Capitol Corridor, San Joaquins and the Pacific Surfliner routes to accommodate more customers from Nov. 27 — Dec. 2.
Despite the increased availability, Amtrak still expects tickets to sell out quickly and encourages customers to plan ahead and book early.
Make sure to snag discounted group fares if you’re traveling with a group of six or more. This deal is a part of Amtrak Share Fares, which just recently expanded to include additional routes. This deal is perfect for families traveling over the holidays as it allows you all to enjoy uninterrupted time together without the worry of holiday traffic.
Featured photo by Ed Pizzarello / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.