Amtrak expands service ahead of busy holiday travel season
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last Thanksgiving, Amtrak experienced its largest passenger count to date with over 846,000 riders on its trains across the country. In anticipation for another record-breaking week of travel, Amtrak plans to run extra trains on several routes to better accommodate and serve more travelers.
In the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak is adding extra trains which will allow them to operate a full and extended schedule with additional frequencies. This includes the Amtrak Acela and the Northeast Regional. The Amtrak Keystone Service, Pennsylvanian and Empire Service will offer extended holiday capacity with additional trains along the Keystone and Pennsylvanian Service from Nov. 25 — Dec. 2.
As for the Midwest, Amtrak will be adding extra cars to existing trains to offer more capacity along the Wolverine Service, Hiawatha, Pere Marquette, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Saluki and Illini routes from Nov. 26 — Dec. 2. There will also be extra service to some Downstate Illinois cities.
If you are a Sleeping Car, Business Class customer or a top-tier Amtrak Guest Rewards member traveling out of Chicago Union Station, you will enjoy access to the Metropolitan Lounge and preboarding. Coach customers are also invited to purchase day passes to the lounge.
Finally, on the West Coast Amtrak will also be adding additional cars to the Capitol Corridor, San Joaquins and the Pacific Surfliner routes to accommodate more customers from Nov. 27 — Dec. 2.
Despite the increased availability, Amtrak still expects tickets to sell out quickly and encourages customers to plan ahead and book early.
Make sure to snag discounted group fares if you’re traveling with a group of six or more. This deal is a part of Amtrak Share Fares, which just recently expanded to include additional routes. This deal is perfect for families traveling over the holidays as it allows you all to enjoy uninterrupted time together without the worry of holiday traffic.
Featured photo by Ed Pizzarello / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees