Like Acela Trains? You Can Buy Bags Made From Their Leather Seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Your next commuter bag has probably traveled more miles than you have.
Earlier this summer, Amtrak began updating the interiors of its Acela Express trains in anticipation of the next-generation Acela fleet, which becomes active in 2021. The Acela Express runs along the northeast corridor between Boston and Washington, DC with stops in Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City and Providence, Rhode Island. The renovation process will involve replacing the leather on all 6,080 Acela Express seats. But instead of discarding the decade-old seat covers, the train company repurposed the leather toward a more sustainable solution, partnering up with non-profit designer People for Urban Progress (PUP) to design a line of handmade leather bags.
The limited edition line of handmade travel gear will retail between $75 and $750, launching in small batches each month throughout the coming year until the leather runs out. The first items available are the Agent Backpack, the Passenger Tote, and the Dispatch Dopp Kit, which prominently feature the signature slate blue leather of the Acela Express seats.
The process of repurposing the seat leather includes separating the leather from the foam seat, dry-cleaning the leather utilizing an environmentally friendly process, then cutting the leather and restitching it to create each product. All told, there should be enough upcycled leather to make 2,500 bags in total.
“One of the main objectives of this Upcycling project is to divert as much waste from landfills as possible,” said PUP senior sustainability manager Kara Angotti. The non-profit is known for repurposing dated infrastructure into reusable material: in 2008, PUP upcycled the roof of the RCA Dome, previously the home of the Indianapolis Colts, using the materials to design a series of wallets, handbags and other goods. PUP has also transformed baseball stadium seats into bus stops and public seating around the city of Indianapolis.
Featured photo courtesy of People for Urban Progress.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees