Amtrak’s best-ever credit card offer can get you $1,400 in train travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Points can go a long way with Amtrak’s Guest Rewards program. With many fares, the U.S. rail provider’s points are worth 2.8 cents apiece, though redemptions are based on the “value” category or above — deep-discount “saver” fares aren’t available for awards.
Want more credit card news and advice? Sign up for TPG’s daily newsletter.
Still, there are plenty of opportunities to score great value, especially with last-minute tickets. Take a train from New York to Miami next week, for example. Paying cash, you’ll need to fork over $272 for the one-way trip.
If you’re booking at award, the same seat will cost you just 9,656 points, hitting that 2.8-cent-per-point sweet spot. The same redemption value applies to Roomette bookings, too.
Most recently, Amtrak was offering 20,000 points plus a $200 statement credit after spending at least $1,000 in the first 90 days with the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard®. This week, the offer is significantly higher.
The information for the Amtrak Guest Rewards card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Related: Best credit cards for train travel
In celebration of its 50th anniversary, Amtrak’s now offering a whopping 50,000 points after making at least $2,500 in purchases within the first 90 days. You’ll need to spend more to trigger the bonus, but this new offer can get you well over $1,000 in travel (according to TPG’s valuations) — as much as $1,400 with certain fares.
Beyond the incredible sign-up bonus, you’ll also enjoy lucrative perks when you open your account and when you renew your card every anniversary, including an annual companion coupon (worth up to $300 in Amtrak travel) and an annual upgrade coupon (worth up to $150 in Amtrak travel). You’ll receive all of these great Amtrak perks for a (more than) reasonable $79 annual fee.
While 50,000 points might not sound especially impressive with so many cards offering 100k or more, Amtrak’s bonus can take you further than even the 150,000-point offer after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first three months of card membership with the $450 Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card (see rates & fees), since Amtrak’s points are worth so much more.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
An Amtrak spokesperson confirmed that the 50k offer is due to stick around until Sept. 30, 2021, but there’s never any guarantee it’ll last that long. It’s the best U.S. rail offer we’ve ever seen, and I wouldn’t expect a 50,000-point promo to pop up again anytime soon. So if you’re hoping to take advantage, I’d grab it sooner rather than later.
For rates and fees of the Hilton Aspire card, click here.
Featured photo by Jacob Harrison for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees