Amex Membership Rewards Transfers to Flying Blue Are Currently Down
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here at The Points Guy, we’re a big fan of transferable point currencies like American Express Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards, as they offer valuable flexibility for your rewards. However, you can only realize this value when you can successfully transfer your points to a partner program. After an issue with transferring Amex points to Avianca LifeMiles earlier in the year, we’re now seeing another glitch, as transfers from American Express Membership Rewards to Flying Blue — the loyalty program of Air France, KLM and other carriers — are temporarily unavailable.
This saga started last week, when a TPG reader emailed to say that his Amex points hadn’t transferred over to Flying Blue after four days. While TPG‘s Zach Griff was able to get a transfer to process instantly, today we receive another tip from a reader and noticed the following error message at the top of Amex’s transfer portal: “Transfer to Flying Blue is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience.”
Amex points typically transfer to Flying Blue at a 1:1 ratio and process instantly, allowing you to book some solid awards. The program recently launched its June list of promo rewards, offering discounts on some flights to Europe. For example, right now you can find some flights from Houston (IAH) to Paris (CDG) for just 29,000 miles and €210 round-trip in economy.
Sadly, if you were planning on topping up your Flying Blue account from points earned on cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express or the American Express® Gold Card, you’re temporarily out of luck.
We reached out to American Express to inquire about a timeline for getting this issue resolved, and a spokesperson provided TPG with the following statement:
“Due to a technical issue, the ability to transfer Membership Rewards points to Flying Blue is temporarily unavailable. This service should be available again soon. We apologize for any inconvenience.”
Fortunately, you still have an array of ways to grab Flying Blue miles, since they’re are among the easiest to earn in the frequent flyer world thanks to partnerships with all of the major transferable point currencies. Like Amex, you can also transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points and Citi ThankYou Rewards points to Flying Blue at a 1:1 ratio, while Capital One miles — from select cards like the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card — transfer at a 2:1.5 ratio. Finally, you have the option of transferring Marriott Bonvoy points at a 3:1 ratio plus a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 Marriott points you transfer. Chase, Citi and Capital One all processed their transfers instantly when we tested Flying Blue, though Marriott took a few days to arrive.
We’ll be sure to update this post when functionality is restored.
Featured photo by Darren Murph/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees