Targeted: Up to 50% bonus when you transfer Amex Membership Rewards points to Hilton
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a Hilton Honors loyalist, you may want to check your American Express accounts. Amex is offering some cardholders a transfer bonus when moving points over to Hilton. TPG Points Lab Editor Nick Ewen noticed a 50% bonus, though it appears to be targeted to select cardholders as I wasn’t targeted on any of my cards.
The standard transfer ratio for is 1:2, where one Membership Rewards point grants you 2 Hilton points. Since TPG values Amex points at 2 cents apiece and Hilton Honors points at just 0.6 cents apiece, this isn’t normally a great use of your points.
If you’re targeted for the 50% bonus, you’re instead transferring at a rate of 1:3. That’s better, but it still falls short of a good value for your Membership Rewards points.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
However, if you do find yourself needing to transfer — say, to top up an account before a redemption — then this could be the time to do it. Though we’ve previously seen transfer bonuses for up to 100% with American Express and Hilton, that’s a relatively rare occurrence. Something like this new offer is much more common, so it’s probably not worth it to hold out for a higher bonus.
There’s no specific end date on this offer, so if you’re planning on taking advantage of this, it’s better to do it sooner rather than later.
- Hilton Honors Card from American Express: 75,000 points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first three months, with no annual fee (see Rates & Fees)
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card: Now through Dec. 31, 2019, TPG readers who apply for the card will earn 150,000 Hilton Honors points after spending $3,000 in purchases in the first three months, plus a $100 statement credit after making a first purchase in the first three months. This offer is worth up to $1,000, according to TPG valuations.
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express: 150,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three months, with a $450 annual fee (see Rates & Fees)
These are some of the best card options for frequent Hilton customers, earning between 7x-14x points per dollar at Hilton properties. Furthermore, all Hilton credit card members enjoy complimentary elite status, even cardholders with the no-annual-fee Hilton card.
Featured photo courtesy of Hilton.
This card is currently offering a welcome bonus of 150,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 150,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express after you use your new Card to make $4,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, enjoy a free Weekend Night Reward within your first year and every year after renewal.
- Earn 14X Hilton Bonus Points when you make eligible purchases on your Card at participating hotels or resorts within the Hilton Portfolio.
- Earn 7X Bonus Points for eligible purchases: on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, on car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies & at U.S. restaurants.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
- Enjoy up to $250 in Hilton Resort Credits on your Card each anniversary year, when you stay at participating resorts within the Hilton portfolio.
- Enjoy complimentary Diamond status with your Hilton Honors Aspire Card.
- $450 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees