Amex Aims to ‘Enhance Lounge Access’ With LoungeBuddy Acquisition
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Monday, American Express announced plans to acquire one of its recent partners, airport lounge booking and reviews platform LoungeBuddy. While the issuer has yet to detail its plans, Amex has clearly been focused on building out its airport lounge footprint in recent years, through the the expansion of its Centurion Lounge network to the American Express Global Lounge Collection, which gives certain members access to over 1,200 locations around the world.
Currently, customers with the Centurion Card, the Platinum Card® from American Express and the Business Platinum Card® from American Express can access Amex’s own lounges, in addition to 1,000+ Priority Pass lounges and restaurants, and Delta Sky Club locations (with a same-day Delta ticket). In theory, LoungeBuddy could help the issuer grow its network even further. Enrollment required for select benefits.
We reached out to American Express for more details regarding its plans for LoungeBuddy. While the issuer isn’t sharing much at this point, Chris Cracchiolo, Amex’s Senior Vice President, Global Loyalty and Benefits said in a press release, “With the acquisition of LoungeBuddy, we will be able to leverage its cutting-edge platform to develop additional ways to become an essential part of our Card Members’ digital lives.”
In theory, LoungeBuddy could help Amex expand its footprint beyond Priority Pass, given the platform’s partnerships with lounges that aren’t currently available there, such as the Lufthansa and Swiss business-class lounges at New York-JFK:
While unlimited access may overwhelm some of LoungeBuddy’s already quite crowded locations, it wouldn’t be too unreasonable to expect free or discounted access during off-peak times, or perhaps a discount off the pricing LoungeBuddy offers today.
Featured photo of the Swiss Business Lounge at New York-JFK by Christian Kramer/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees