How to make sure you’re getting your Amex Platinum Uber credits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new card details and information.
Your credit card benefits help offset the cost of the annual fee (especially in a year when other perks may not be used with the pause on travel), but issuers don’t always make it easy to use these perks.
A prime example of a lucrative benefit is the up to $200 in annual Uber credits (for use in the U.S.) provided to cardholders of The Platinum Card® from American Express. This helps justify paying the Amex Platinum card’s $695 a year for the card (see rates and fees), which provides other great perks such as lounge access, up to a $200 annual airline credit and hotel elite status. Enrollment required for select benefits.
Amex Platinum cardholders also receive $15 in Uber credits every month except in December, when they get $35.
Amex Platinum Uber cash credit
In late 2018, Uber added an extra step that made redeeming your credits more difficult. In the past, credits would automatically be applied when taking a ride, but in October 2018, Uber started adding the credits to riders’ Uber Cash balance. Uber Cash consolidates all of your Uber credits in one place.
As TPG’s Zach Honig wrote following the change:
“Those $15 in Amex credits are applied to your Uber Cash balance, and you need to manually select Uber Cash as your payment method in order to use your credits. If your overall balance isn’t high enough to cover the entire ride, you’ll be prompted to add credits to your account, or you can scroll down and select a card to cover just the remaining amount.”
How to get around the problem
To avoid this issue, you’ll want to select Uber Cash as your payment method before you order a car. Following these steps should ensure you’ll be able to use all of your Uber Cash:
- Select Uber Cash as your payment method
- Request a ride
- If your ride cost exceeds your balance, click “refill options” when prompted
- Add credit using a linked payment method, or select “just cover this trip”
If your Uber Cash balance isn’t enough to cover the ride, you can select a credit card to cover the remaining balance from the trip. Select “Just cover this trip” and then the remaining balance should be charged to a credit card of your choice. Make sure you use a card that earns additional rewards on Uber purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (which earns 3x on travel and dining purchases, including Uber rides and Uber Eats).
Remember that the credit is a “use it or lose it” benefit, meaning it won’t roll over into the next month. The good news is that Uber Eats orders qualify for the credit, so you can still get the most out of this benefit even if you aren’t taking any Uber rides during the month.
Additional reporting by Jason Stauffer and Madison Blancaflor.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum, click here.
Featured image by studioEAST/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees