Watch the Olympics with in-depth coverage with your new Amex Platinum credit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s an understatement to say a lot has changed in the past year. Even our favorite rewards cards have adjusted to consumers’ shift from travel to lifestyle spend. Namely, The Platinum Card® from American Express has recently undergone a massive revamp, adding four new annual statement credits in exchange for a higher $695 annual fee (see rates and fees).
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While we’re all eager to put 2020 to rest, the Tokyo Olympics are finally here — a full year later than initially anticipated. And if you’re a cardholder of the Amex Platinum, your new digital entertainment credit unlocks the ability for you to watch the Olympics — for free. With just 12 days left in this year’s games, let’s dive into the details.
What is the Amex Platinum digital entertainment credit?
While some may gawk at the $695 annual fee, you’ll be able to minimize the sticker shock by maximizing the long list of statement credits that come with the card, including both travel and lifestyle benefits.
One of the newer additions is the up to $240 annual digital entertainment statement credit, distributed in $20 monthly increments each calendar year. At first glance, this credit sounds broad — you would think that popular services such as Netflix or Spotify would qualify. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case, and the digital entertainment credit only applies to the following four services:
- The New York Times
You’ll have to activate this credit on your Amex account first, but then you’re free to mix and match these monthly services as you please. For example, you could subscribe to Peacock Premium ($4.99), Audible Plus ($7.95) and NY Times Cooking ($5) and still have some change left over.
How can I watch in-depth coverage of the Olympics?
Peacock is relatively new in the streaming services world and is part of the NBC Universal network. As NBC is broadcasting the Olympics, you’ll be able to access live Olympics content, replays, highlights and so much more as a Peacock subscriber. This is enticing if you weren’t particularly convinced to subscribe to any of the eligible digital entertainment providers — well, now you have a reason to.
Let’s review the levels of Peacock membership:
|Peacock Premium||$4.99/month||Everything in Peacock, and…
|Peacock Premium Plus||$9.99/month||Everything in Peacock Premium, and…
With Peacock Premium or Peacock Premium Plus, you’ll get access to live sports — including the Olympics. Peacock Premium subscribers will also get access to exclusive Olympics programming, studio shows, curated playlists, highlights and full event replays. Whether you’re a gymnastics or volleyball fan, you can watch this year’s games and get in-depth coverage on your web browser, smart TV or another eligible device.
After activating the digital entertainment credit in the “Benefits” section of your account, all you’ll have to do is purchase either monthly subscription on Peacock’s website with your Amex Platinum. You’ll receive reimbursement to your statement same day, wiping out all eligible charges under $20 each month.
Many Amex Platinum cardholders were disgruntled at these new statement credits, as they initially don’t seem user-friendly with specific terms and conditions to abide by. But the Olympics is pretty special — and you’ll get to watch for thanks to this new digital entertainment credit.
Official application link: The Platinum Card from American Express with a 100,000-point welcome offer after spending $6,000 on purchases within the first six months of card membership.
Check the CardMatch tool to see if you’re targeted for a 125,000 or 150,000-point Platinum card offer (after meeting minimum spending requirements). These offers are subject to change at any time.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum, click here.
Featured photo by Takashi Aoyama for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees