Use them or lose them: Amex Platinum and Business Platinum shopping credits reset at year-end
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated to remind you to use your statement credits.
Part of maximizing the credit cards you carry is taking full advantage of the travel credits and other statement credits they may offer. It’s easy to think, “I’ll use that credit later,” and delay using your credits. But if you have The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, you may want to make some purchases before your credits reset on Jan. 1, 2021.
In particular, two types of July-through-December statements credits will reset on Jan. 1: Saks credits for personal Platinum cardholders and Dell credits for Business Platinum cardholders. So, let’s dive into these shopping credits and how to use them before they reset.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
American Express Platinum Card: Saks Fifth Avenue
Along with many other benefits, the Amex Platinum Card offers up to $100 in statement credits for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue or saks.com each calendar year. However, these credits are doled out as up to $50 in statement credits from January through June and up to $50 in statement credits from July through December.
So, you’ll want to purchase some items from Saks on your Amex Platinum Card before the end of the year if you haven’t made any eligible purchases since the beginning of July.
The first step is to register for the statement credits — or ensure that you are already registered — using this direct registration link. Do this before making your purchase. Then make your purchase using your Amex Platinum Card.
There are plenty of items you can buy from Saks that cost less than $50. For example, my husband recently purchased a new shirt with his $50 credit. And here are some holiday gifts you can buy using your Amex Platinum $50 Saks Fifth Avenue credit.
To fully maximize your purchase, go through an online shopping portal. I suggest using a shopping portal aggregator to find the highest payout. To use your July-through-December 2020 credit, ensure the charge posts by the end of December. As such, you shouldn’t wait until the last day to make your purchase.
American Express Business Platinum Card: Dell
One of the Amex Business Platinum‘s benefits is up to $100 in statement credits between January and June and up to $100 in statement credits between July and December for U.S. purchases with Dell. However, as a limited-time perk during the coronavirus pandemic, American Express bumped the 2020 Dell statement credits up to $200 during each period.
As with the Saks statement credits for the personal Platinum card, you’ll need to register for the statement credits (or ensure you are already registered) using this direct registration link. Be sure to register before making your purchase. And consider clicking through an online shopping portal to earn extra cash-back rewards, points or miles on your purchase.
There are many sub-$200 items available on the Dell website, so you don’t need to purchase a new computer to benefit from this statement credit. For example, my husband and I have used our Dell statement credits to buy a portable wireless Bose speaker that’s perfect for traveling, a Dell monitor that’s great for working from anywhere, a new carry-on backpack and a Rosetta Stone Lifetime subscription.
Cardholders of the personal Amex Platinum also have access to a new up to $100 Dell statement credit (on U.S. purchases) through Jan. 31, 2021. To get this statement credit, you must add the offer to your card and then use your Amex Platinum card to make purchases that total $100 or more. You can pay with two different credit cards when checking out with Dell, so it’s possible to use both the Amex Platinum and Amex Business Platinum when making a purchase.
As the end of December nears, there isn’t much time left to make purchases that can be covered by the Amex Business Platinum’s up-to-$200 July-to-December credit. After all, charges for most Dell purchases don’t post until the item ships. But software purchases, such as a Rosetta Stone subscription, post quickly. So, buying software is a good option if you waited until the last minute to use your credit.
Featured image by The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees