This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starbucks and American Express want to help you get your morning buzz for a bit cheaper. They’ve launched a new promotion offering 15% off for targeted cardholders through Amex Offers.
In case you aren’t familiar, Amex Offers are opt-in, limited-time deals for American Express cardholders, like 2,000 bonus Membership Rewards points for spending $50+ with Amazon, 5,000 bonus points for spending $250+ at Saks Fifth Avenue, 4,000 bonus points for spending $40+ at The RealReal and more.
But, today, we’re talking Starbucks! Now through May 16, you’ll get 15% off all Starbucks purchase on targeted cards:
The offer is capped at a maximum of $5, and unfortunately that maximum isn’t per transaction either. The terms and conditions note that “Limit $5 in statement credit(s) per American Express online account.” That means you’ll max out this offer after spending about $33.34.
The good news is this is at least the third version of this particular offer, after 15% off Amex Offers were available last August and this January. So hopefully we will see additional versions continue to pop up.
Unfortunately, the offer can’t be used for e-gift card purchases or physical gift cards purchased online. However, eligible purchases include “app reloads” as well as purchases “in-store at stand-alone Starbucks locations.”
While $5 isn’t a huge amount of savings, you might as well add the offer to your account if you’re a Starbucks fan. And while you’re logged in, make sure to check your list of Amex Offers for other valuable savings, whether it’s getting cashback for purchasing Hotels.com gift cards, booking cruises or staying at certain hotels:
Remember that Amex Offers are targeted, so not every American Express card will be included in this promotion. In order to see if you’ve been targeted — and to enroll in the offer — log in to your AmericanExpress.com account. Scroll down to the “Amex Offers and Benefits” section. (You may need to click “Load More” to see the offer.)
I’m personally 2-for-5 on my Amex credit cards showing me this Starbucks deal, with the following cards targeted for the offer in at least one browser:
If you have multiple cards linked under the same username/password, note that there’s a limit of one registration per Amex Offer, per username/password. So, choose wisely if you have multiple targeted cards under a single login (or try using multiple private browsers or moving cards to separate logins).
Featured image by Getty Images
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees