Targeted: 50% Back on Sam’s Club Online Purchases, Up to $15 Off
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Platinum Card® from American Express
If you like to buy your groceries or toiletries in bulk — and you’re a Sam’s Club member — you might want to check your Amex Offers portal.
We’re seeing a decent offer for a statement credit on purchases from Sam’s Club. While I was targeted for the promotion on The Platinum Card® from American Express, it doesn’t appear that anyone else at the TPG office received the promotion.
Here’s how it works. You’ll get a 50% statement credit back on your eligible Sam’s Club purchase by using your registered card online at SamsClub.com. You can receive a max of $15 in total statement credits, meaning that you’d want to aim for a $30 purchase to max out the discount. Note that this promotion isn’t valid on purchases made in-store, via the Scan and Go app, phone orders or on Sam’s Club new memberships. If you are targeted, make sure you add the promotion to your card soon as this deal expires August 30.
While $15 back isn’t much, it’s still a solid deal even if you aren’t a Sam’s Club member.
That’s because it is possible to purchase items without paying for an annual subscription. Sam’s Club offers what it calls “guest membership,” which is active for 24 hours. With this membership, you can purchase items from Sam’s Club online or via the Sam’s Club app, but not in store. If you use a guest membership, however, a 10% service fee will be attached to your purchase unless you live in California, South Carolina or Elmsford, NY. Lastly, keep in mind you won’t be able to do an order pick up if you’re a guest member, so make sure you have your items shipped to you.
Bear in mind too that SamsClub.com sells gift cards, and in some cases offers them at a discount. There’s nothing in the terms and conditions of the offer that excludes gift card purchases, and TPG Editor Nick Ewen recently bought iTunes gift cards to utilize a (now-expired) bonus offer at Sam’s Club, and the extra points posted without any problem.
Finally, be sure to go through an online shopping portal prior to making the purchase. At the time of publication, I’m seeing enhanced offers for 4 miles per dollar spent through Alaska, United, American and British Airways.
Featured photo by Cavan Images / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually (only for use in the U.S.)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees