Amex Offer: Get 4 Additional Points on NYC Yellow Cab and MTA Rides
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Listen up New Yorkers! Your daily commute for the rest of 2019 might have just gotten more rewarding.
American Express cardholders are currently being targeted to earn four additional points per dollar spent on NYC Yellow Cabs and MTA rides using contactless payment or a mobile wallet. Both offers are capped at a maximum of 1,000 bonus points and are valid through Dec. 31, 2019.
Based on TPG’s valuations, you’d be walking away with an additional $40 in rewards if you’re able to maximize both offers. That’s a whole lot more rewarding than at least one other Amex Offer currently out there.
TPG Director of Points, Miles & Credit Cards Julian Kheel and Assistant Podcast Producer Caroline Schagrin both noticed the offers on their American Express® Gold Card cards. However, it’s possible that the offer is available through other cards as well so you’ll want to check all of your cards and select the one that offers the best return on the purchases.
As with any other Amex Offer, any of the above can only be added to one card per account holder. Additionally, since these tend to have limited enrollment, you’ll want to add these offers right away if you’re targeted as they may disappear before the expiration date.
Related: Ultimate Guide to Amex Offers
The MTA’s new contactless fare system that allows passengers to simply tap through at the turnstile and pay per ride is now functioning on all Staten Island buses and the 4, 5 and 6 lines between the Grand Central-42 Street and Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center stations. The MTA plans on having it available throughout the entire subway system and on all bus routes by late 2020.
Because you have to use a contactless payment method to get the bonus points, loading up a monthly unlimited ride Metrocard may not trigger the offer, since that method requires you swiping your card through a traditional card reader. You’ll want to weigh the savings on if it makes more sense to buy an unlimited ride pass, or pay for each ride on an individual basis and earn the bonus Membership Rewards points.
Even if you weren’t targeted for this offer, there are other ways you could save on your commute. For instance, as a part of the Fareback Fridays program, Mastercard card holders can get up to two MTA rides refunded every Friday through the end of July by using a contactless Mastercard method of payment at the subway turnstiles.
Want to learn more about Amex Offers? Here’s what you need to know:
Featured image by Zoran Milich / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees