This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re an American Express credit cardholder with future plans to fly to Asia, listen up: A new Amex Offer can get you a big return on your ticket. Through the end of July, targeted cardholders can get a one-time $300 statement credit after spending $1,500 or more with Cathay Pacific.
In case you’re not aware, the Amex Offers program is a terrific way for holders of virtually any American Express card to score bonus points or discounts on purchases with select merchants, though they’re targeted and only available for a limited time. We’ve seen recent deals from various travel providers, including Qantas, Marriott and multiple Hilton offers, so this is another carrier to add to the list.
TPG Editor Nick Ewen was targeted for the offer on his Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express.
If you have one of the best first class experiences on your radar, now might just be the time to book your trip. However, even an economy flight would still do the trick for this deal, like this one from Newark (EWR) to Singapore (SIN) via Hong Kong (HKG) in July. On this expenditure, you’d be able to get an attractive return of ~20% on a hefty purchase, and that’s in addition to the base points or miles you’d take home on the card.
Once targeted cardholders have successfully spent at least $1,500, the statement credit will appear within 90 days after July 31, though our experience indicates that it almost always arrives within a few days. Spending can also be dispersed across several transactions, if necessary.
This offer has a few standard exclusions. Most notably, the last bullet listed below excludes the promotion from applying to award tickets through Asia Miles. Here are the areas that won’t contribute toward the $1,500 count:
- Purchases in-person at the airport, lounges, and Cathay Shop online
- Purchases on-board flights for food, beverage, and WiFi
- Standalone hotel bookings and car rentals
- Purchases through third parties or affiliated agents
- Charges for pet fees, port service fees and animal hold fees
- Duty-free pre-flight orders, Marco Polo Club Service Center, air ticket reissuance, flight Insurance, revalidating an air ticket issued by another airline and Asiamiles.com.
And again, the offer is limited to one card per cardmember and will only apply once, regardless of how much you spend with Cathay.
Find out if you were targeted for the offer by logging into your American Express account and checking the Amex Offers and Benefits section of your account page. Just be sure to check all of your cards before clicking Add to Card on one of them, as you’ll want to select the one that offers the best return on spending.
For more information on this program, check out our Ultimate Guide to Amex Offers.
Featured image by Samantha Rosen/The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards