Get $40 back after spending $200 on Delta with newest Amex Offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information and offers.
If you’ve been thinking about getting back on the road and want to fly what is arguably the best U.S. airline in the coming months, listen up. There’s currently an Amex Offer available on some accounts that can net you some big savings on Delta purchases.
Here’s what you need to know.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Delta Amex Offer
Now through March 31, 2021, targeted American Express cardholders can get a $40 statement credit when spending at least $200 in one or more transactions with Delta using an enrolled card. This is the date you must make the purchase(s) by, not travel by. To get the offer, you must book directly at www.delta.com, via the U.S. Fly Delta app or via a U.S. telephone reservation line. Your flights must originate in the U.S. — including U.S. territories — and purchases must be made in US dollars.
As an example, you could use this offer to book a $208 round-trip flight from New York-JFK to San Francisco (SFO) and reduce your out-of-pocket cost to just $168. That’s a roughly 20% discount, and remember that you’ll be able to make changes to your ticket down the line for free.
Note that the offer includes several restrictions. Specifically, it excludes in-flight spending, in-person purchases at the airport (including in lounges), flights booked via third parties and gift card purchases. Hotel, car services, packages and travel insurance purchased via Delta.com or through Delta Vacations, insurance, purchase of miles, SkyMiles Marketplace purchases, Delta Cargo and On Demand Charter services aren’t included, either.
To check and see if you’re among the lucky ones to be targeted for this offer, log into your American Express account and check the Amex Offers section. Make sure to check all of your cards before clicking ‘Add to Card’ on one of them, as you’ll want to select the one that offers the best return on spending. If you have The Platinum Card® from American Express, it will likely be your best bet — since it offers 5x points on purchases made directly with the airline (on up to $500,000 spent on these purchases per year) and provides trip insurance.
If targeted for this offer, you should add it right away, since these tend to have limited enrollment and may disappear before the expiration date. Given how easy it is to activate the promotion, you should do so even if you don’t have plans to travel yet as you never know what may pop up.
If you don’t have an American Express card and don’t want to miss out on future offers like this, consider adding a card such as The Platinum Card from American Express to your wallet. It’s offering a welcome bonus of 75,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first six months of account opening. However, you might be eligible for a 100,000-point welcome offer on the Amex Platinum using the CardMatch Tool (offer subject to change at any time). The card has a $550 annual fee (see rates & fees).
You’ll also receive 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and 5x points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel. As a Platinum cardholder, you’ll also receive complimentary Gold status with both Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors, so your hotel stays booked in conjunction with your Delta flights could be even more rewarding.
If the Platinum Card isn’t for you, consider reading our guide on choosing the best American Express card that suits your style.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees