Get $40 back after spending $200 on Delta with newest Amex Offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information and offers.
If you’ve been thinking about getting back on the road and want to fly what is arguably the best U.S. airline in the coming months, listen up. There’s currently an Amex Offer available on some accounts that can net you some big savings on Delta purchases.
Here’s what you need to know.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Delta Amex Offer
Now through March 31, 2021, targeted American Express cardholders can get a $40 statement credit when spending at least $200 in one or more transactions with Delta using an enrolled card. This is the date you must make the purchase(s) by, not travel by. To get the offer, you must book directly at www.delta.com, via the U.S. Fly Delta app or via a U.S. telephone reservation line. Your flights must originate in the U.S. — including U.S. territories — and purchases must be made in US dollars.
As an example, you could use this offer to book a $208 round-trip flight from New York-JFK to San Francisco (SFO) and reduce your out-of-pocket cost to just $168. That’s a roughly 20% discount, and remember that you’ll be able to make changes to your ticket down the line for free.
Note that the offer includes several restrictions. Specifically, it excludes in-flight spending, in-person purchases at the airport (including in lounges), flights booked via third parties and gift card purchases. Hotel, car services, packages and travel insurance purchased via Delta.com or through Delta Vacations, insurance, purchase of miles, SkyMiles Marketplace purchases, Delta Cargo and On Demand Charter services aren’t included, either.
To check and see if you’re among the lucky ones to be targeted for this offer, log into your American Express account and check the Amex Offers section. Make sure to check all of your cards before clicking ‘Add to Card’ on one of them, as you’ll want to select the one that offers the best return on spending. If you have The Platinum Card® from American Express, it will likely be your best bet — since it offers 5x points on purchases made directly with the airline (on up to $500,000 spent on these purchases per year) and provides trip insurance.
If targeted for this offer, you should add it right away, since these tend to have limited enrollment and may disappear before the expiration date. Given how easy it is to activate the promotion, you should do so even if you don’t have plans to travel yet as you never know what may pop up.
If you don’t have an American Express card and don’t want to miss out on future offers like this, consider adding a card such as The Platinum Card from American Express to your wallet. It’s offering a welcome bonus of 75,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first six months of account opening. However, you might be eligible for a 100,000-point welcome offer on the Amex Platinum using the CardMatch Tool (offer subject to change at any time). The card has a $550 annual fee (see rates & fees).
You’ll also receive 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and 5x points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel. As a Platinum cardholder, you’ll also receive complimentary Gold status with both Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors, so your hotel stays booked in conjunction with your Delta flights could be even more rewarding.
If the Platinum Card isn’t for you, consider reading our guide on choosing the best American Express card that suits your style.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.