This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Starwood Preferred Guest® Luxury Credit Card from American Express
American Express has made a habit out of surprising and delighting some of its highest-value customers, specifically those who hold its premium credit cards. Earlier in 2018, Amex sent holders of the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card Beagle 2.0 bluetooth tracking devices (which can retail for up to $90), while over the years gifts for holders of the Platinum Card® from American Express have ranged from gift cards for Blade and Tiffany & Co, and even Amazon Echo devices.
Not all card holders receive these gifts, and it’s hard to say exactly what criteria Amex uses when sending them out. But there’s one category of customers Amex clearly wants to keep even happier than Platinum card holders: those with the Amex Centurion and Business Centurion cards. These invite-only cards require a hefty amount of spending up front before Amex will even consider you (we’re talking well over $300,000 a year), in addition a $7,500 initiation fee and $2,500 annual fee.
In exchange for that massive amount of spending, you get some pretty substantial perks, including a dedicated personal concierge from Amex, Delta Platinum Medallion Status, waived AA change fees, and more. You can check out this guide to see why TPG is happy to keep his Business Centurion card open year after year.
In the past, TPG has gotten surprise holiday Business Centurion gifts such as a crystal decanter and glassware set from Tiffany & Co.
He recently received his gift options for this year, and let’s just say the list is pretty impressive. In keeping with Amex’s extensive investment in the lifestyle element of its premium credit cards, many of these options are experiences provided in partnership with Four Seasons Hawaii. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Bottega Veneta Nero Intrecdiato card case ($270 value)
- A private oyster farm tour at the Four Seasons Hualalai
- Sunset sail on a catamaran at the Four Seasons Lana’i
- A private dinner for two at the Four Seasons Maui
- A limited-edition bottle of Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle champagne and two crystal flutes from Baccarat
- A complimentary night at up to two of the four Four Seasons properties in Hawaii
- A $200 charitable donation to the International Rescue Committee, Children’s Health Fund, or Mission Blue
No matter which gift you pick, you can expect to get about $250 in value, or ~10% back off your annual fee. These gift options match the jet-setting luxury lifestyle you’d expect from a Centurion card holder, and it’s nice to see Amex providing plenty of options to pick from.
As for what TPG himself picked, his first choice was the limited-edition champagne, but it was sold out by the time he made his selection, so he ended up going with the Bottega Veneta card case.
The Amex Centurion and Business Centurion cards are really in a league of their own, from the hefty spending and fees required to unlock an invite and maintain your account to the travel and lifestyle perks the cards offer. These gifts are an easy way to keep some of Amex’s highest-spending customers smiling.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees