Amex Is Sending Holiday Gifts to Business Centurion Card Holders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Starwood Preferred Guest® Luxury Credit Card from American Express
American Express has made a habit out of surprising and delighting some of its highest-value customers, specifically those who hold its premium credit cards. Earlier in 2018, Amex sent holders of the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card Beagle 2.0 bluetooth tracking devices (which can retail for up to $90), while over the years gifts for holders of the Platinum Card® from American Express have ranged from gift cards for Blade and Tiffany & Co, and even Amazon Echo devices.
Not all card holders receive these gifts, and it’s hard to say exactly what criteria Amex uses when sending them out. But there’s one category of customers Amex clearly wants to keep even happier than Platinum card holders: those with the Amex Centurion and Business Centurion cards. These invite-only cards require a hefty amount of spending up front before Amex will even consider you (we’re talking well over $300,000 a year), in addition a $7,500 initiation fee and $2,500 annual fee.
In exchange for that massive amount of spending, you get some pretty substantial perks, including a dedicated personal concierge from Amex, Delta Platinum Medallion Status, waived AA change fees, and more. You can check out this guide to see why TPG is happy to keep his Business Centurion card open year after year.
In the past, TPG has gotten surprise holiday Business Centurion gifts such as a crystal decanter and glassware set from Tiffany & Co.
He recently received his gift options for this year, and let’s just say the list is pretty impressive. In keeping with Amex’s extensive investment in the lifestyle element of its premium credit cards, many of these options are experiences provided in partnership with Four Seasons Hawaii. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Bottega Veneta Nero Intrecdiato card case ($270 value)
- A private oyster farm tour at the Four Seasons Hualalai
- Sunset sail on a catamaran at the Four Seasons Lana’i
- A private dinner for two at the Four Seasons Maui
- A limited-edition bottle of Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle champagne and two crystal flutes from Baccarat
- A complimentary night at up to two of the four Four Seasons properties in Hawaii
- A $200 charitable donation to the International Rescue Committee, Children’s Health Fund, or Mission Blue
No matter which gift you pick, you can expect to get about $250 in value, or ~10% back off your annual fee. These gift options match the jet-setting luxury lifestyle you’d expect from a Centurion card holder, and it’s nice to see Amex providing plenty of options to pick from.
As for what TPG himself picked, his first choice was the limited-edition champagne, but it was sold out by the time he made his selection, so he ended up going with the Bottega Veneta card case.
The Amex Centurion and Business Centurion cards are really in a league of their own, from the hefty spending and fees required to unlock an invite and maintain your account to the travel and lifestyle perks the cards offer. These gifts are an easy way to keep some of Amex’s highest-spending customers smiling.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee