The Amex Gold Card Will Now Earn 4x Points at Restaurants
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Express® Gold Card is one of our top picks for maximizing dining purchases, but since the 4x earnings on dining have been limited to US restaurants, it’s been less attractive than other options for your trips abroad. That’s why this news is huge: Card members will now receive 4 points per dollar spent on dining at restaurants in general.
We learned of this change thanks to a TPG reader who shared this screenshot from their card statement:
According to the screenshot provided by the reader, the Amex Gold now earns 4x points on international dining purchases at restaurants as of June 6. Also note that the 4x earning rate on the first $25,000 spent at supermarkets each calendar year (then 1x) is still limited to supermarkets in the US. The card has a $250 annual fee (see rates and fees).
Based on TPG’s valuations, 4x Amex points on dining at restaurants equals an 8% return on spending. That’s second only to the Citi Prestige Card‘s 5x/8.5% return on dining worldwide. Before this change on the Amex Gold, the Citi Prestige and the Chase Sapphire Reserve (with 3x on dining; a 6% return) were our two top picks for dining purchases abroad, but this update nudges the CSR out of its second-place spot.
This is the Amex Gold Card’s second refresh since October 2018, when American Express announced a limited-time rose gold card, 4 points per dollar spent at US restaurants and supermarkets and up to $120 in annual dining credits when paying with the Gold Card at participating dining partners including Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations. Enrollment required.
Dining is a top spending category for many card holders, both at home and abroad, so we’re very glad that Amex has extended the 4x earning rate to international dining purchases. This change makes it easy to justify clearing a coveted spot in your travel wallet for the Amex Gold.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com.
- Rose Gold is here to stay. Card Members can choose between a Gold or Rose Gold Card.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees