This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
First, the good news: Amex is expanding the Centurion Lounge at Miami International Airport (MIA). Unfortunately, travelers passing through next month may not be quite as thrilled — adding space requires that Amex close its Florida outpost for a two-week period in January 2019.
As Amex explains:
“The Centurion Lounge at Miami International Airport will be temporarily closed for a short period in January as we work to upgrade and expand the space. We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to reopening as soon as possible to continue to offer Platinum Card Members a place to relax, refresh and reboot when they travel through MIA.”
The issuer has yet to announce dates for next month’s temporarily closure, but expects the work to take about two weeks.
In the meantime, customers with The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Business Platinum® Card from American Express or the Centurion Card can register for a free Priority Pass card, granting access to the following MIA lounges and restaurants.
- Corona Beach House (Concourse D)
- Air Margaritaville (Concourse E)
- Viena (Concourse E)
- Club America F (Concourse F)
- VIP Lounge Miami (Concourse J)
- Avianca VIP Lounge (Concourse J)
While I have yet to visit the Miami location myself, colleagues have shared that the MIA Centurion Lounge has felt overcrowded at times, in which cases these adjustments — while inconvenient — will bring some welcome change.
Featured image by Lan Paje.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees