Confirmed: Amex to start charging $50 for most Centurion Lounge guests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This piece has been updated with a statement from Amex.
There’s big news today from American Express.
Late last night, the issuer quietly updated its terms and conditions to state that it would clamp down on its Centurion Lounge guest policy and that most cardmembers would no longer be allowed to bring in two friends or family members for free.
For a few nighttime hours, the terms and conditions indicated that beginning on Feb. 1, 2023, all Centurion Lounge guests that came in with a cardholder would be charged at a rate of $50 each. The terms said this would apply to anyone entering the lounge along with a primary or authorized user of the Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express. Complimentary guest access could be unlocked by making $75,000 or more in purchases during a calendar year on a Platinum account, including on charges made by authorized users.
However, as quickly and quietly as the American Express terms indicated this coming major change, it reverted them back to the original version, leaving us to wonder if this was a confirmed change.
Now we know — this change is indeed coming. Here’s what we learned.
American Express has confirmed the changes to TPG with the following statement.
“The Centurion Lounge is one of the most popular benefits of the Platinum Card. We want to make sure we continue to back our Card Members when they travel by delivering a comfortable space for our Card Members to recharge and relax, which is why we are making some changes to our Centurion Lounge guest access policy,” said the card issuer.
Amex went on to confirm that, ” There is no spend threshold required for complimentary Centurion Lounge guest access for Corporate Platinum Card and Centurion Members.”
To qualify for free guest access on the Platinum cards come Feb. 1, 2023, you’ll need to hit the $75,000 threshold between Jan. 1, 2022, and Dec. 31, 2022. Complimentary guest access is usually be processed within seven days of meeting the purchase requirement, though it may take up to 12 weeks to become effective.
Once you hit the requirement, free guests would be unlocked through Jan. 31, two years following the date you hit $75,000 in purchases.
For more TPG travel news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
For many, this is unfortunate news to go along with shelling out $550 each year for the Platinum card (see rates & fees). However, some deep-pocketed or solo travelers may be thrilled by a reduction in lounge guests. By cutting free guests, Amex is seemingly working to reduce overcrowding.
In the years leading up to the pandemic, overcrowding became one of the biggest complaints with Centurion Lounges. Even now, after a six-month pandemic-related closure, select locations are again operating at capacity, with many cardmembers being asked to join a waitlist for entry.
Now that we’ve confirmed these changes are indeed coming, a potential solution will be to consider adding authorized users to your Platinum card. In the terms listed above, authorized users won’t be subject to the $50 per-visit guest fee. You currently can add up to three Platinum authorized-user cards to your primary personal Platinum account for a total fee of $175 per year (see rates and fees).
Children younger than 13 can’t be added as authorized users, so this is a noticeable devaluation for families who’ll now need to shell out $50 to bring their young kids into the lounges, some of which have dedicated family rooms.
Another alternative that Amex could consider is expanding the Platinum card’s $200 airline fee credit to cover up to four guesting charges at the Centurion Lounge. It’s possible the terms indicating this guest benefit change could be just a part of a larger overhaul of this iconic premium credit card.
Under these terms, Amex is providing cardholders just shy of two years’ notice on the coming changes.
The new Centurion Lounge guesting policy comes as Amex is working hard to expand and renovate its existing network of 14 outposts. New locations are planned for London Heathrow (LHR) and Washington National (DCA), and expansions are underway in New York LaGuardia (LGA), Las Vegas (LAS), San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA).
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees