Did You Get a Targeted Cash-Back Offer? Amex Says It Was a Mistake
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you received a targeted offer email from American Express over the weekend, you might have done a double take.
A user in the TPG Lounge on Facebook reported receiving a seemingly unreal Amex Offer for 2x cash back after spending $2,500 or more. What made the offer even more unbelievable was that the cardholder could (theoretically) take advantage of the promotion up to three times, earning up to $15,000 cash back.
Within minutes, dozens of cardholders with various cards reported similar offers ranging from $9,000 spend and $9,000 cash back, up to $27,000 back.
According to Amex, the email was sent in error.
“[W]e did send out a Membership Rewards promotion to a small, isolated set of Card Members through our online, mobile app and email channels. Unfortunately, there was an error in the way the banner displayed the promotion to Card Members who received it via email,” according to an Amex spokesperson.
“Once we detected the issue, we corrected it quickly to prevent any further confusion to our Card Members,” the statement continued.
The correct promotion appeared to be at the bottom of the email sent by American Express. For instance, the actual promotion for a reader who received a targeted offer is 1,500 Membership Rewards points after spending $1,500 or more.
So if you hoped for a significant cash-back offer on your Amex card, unfortunately, you’re out of luck. But while this Amex Offer appears to be a mistake, there are plenty of valid offers on hotels, dining, travel and entertainment.
With any Amex Offer, you’ll want to check all of your cards to select the one that offers the best return on the purchase. Offers are targeted, so you may not see them at all. If you do, I’d encourage you to add them right away, since these tend to have limited enrollment and may disappear before the expiration date.
If you don’t have an American Express card and don’t want to miss out on future Amex Offers, consider adding The Platinum Card® from American Express to your wallet, as it’s offering a welcome bonus of 75,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first six months of account opening. However, you might be eligible for an Amex Platinum 100,000-point bonus offer using the CardMatch Tool (offer subject to change at any time).
You’ll also receive 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and 5x points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel. As a Platinum cardholder, you’ll also receive complimentary Gold status with both Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors, so your stays could be even more rewarding.
Featured image by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.