Did You Get a Targeted Cash-Back Offer? Amex Says It Was a Mistake
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you received a targeted offer email from American Express over the weekend, you might have done a double take.
A user in the TPG Lounge on Facebook reported receiving a seemingly unreal Amex Offer for 2x cash back after spending $2,500 or more. What made the offer even more unbelievable was that the cardholder could (theoretically) take advantage of the promotion up to three times, earning up to $15,000 cash back.
Within minutes, dozens of cardholders with various cards reported similar offers ranging from $9,000 spend and $9,000 cash back, up to $27,000 back.
According to Amex, the email was sent in error.
“[W]e did send out a Membership Rewards promotion to a small, isolated set of Card Members through our online, mobile app and email channels. Unfortunately, there was an error in the way the banner displayed the promotion to Card Members who received it via email,” according to an Amex spokesperson.
“Once we detected the issue, we corrected it quickly to prevent any further confusion to our Card Members,” the statement continued.
The correct promotion appeared to be at the bottom of the email sent by American Express. For instance, the actual promotion for a reader who received a targeted offer is 1,500 Membership Rewards points after spending $1,500 or more.
So if you hoped for a significant cash-back offer on your Amex card, unfortunately, you’re out of luck. But while this Amex Offer appears to be a mistake, there are plenty of valid offers on hotels, dining, travel and entertainment.
With any Amex Offer, you’ll want to check all of your cards to select the one that offers the best return on the purchase. Offers are targeted, so you may not see them at all. If you do, I’d encourage you to add them right away, since these tend to have limited enrollment and may disappear before the expiration date.
If you don’t have an American Express card and don’t want to miss out on future Amex Offers, consider adding The Platinum Card® from American Express to your wallet, as it’s offering a welcome bonus of 100,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new card to make $6,000 in purchases in your first six months of account opening. However, you might be eligible for an Amex Platinum 125,000-point bonus offer using the CardMatch Tool (offer subject to change at any time).
You’ll also receive 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel (up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year) and 5x points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel. As a Platinum cardholder, you’ll also receive complimentary Gold status with both Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors, so your stays could be even more rewarding. Enrollment required for select benefits.
Featured image by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees