Some Amex cardholders are receiving credits to offset annual fees — are you included?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new cards offering a renewal credit.
American Express, Chase and Citi have all announced benefit updates with additional perks and bonuses on dozens of card products. These announcements last week came in response to changing spending behaviors brought on by the global pandemic.
For Amex, the updates are particularly appropriate for both The Platinum Card® from American Express as well as The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, two travel-focused cards that are not the most relevant when few people are actually on the move.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
The “Appreciation Credit” offers
In addition to individual retention offers for cardholders who call on the phone, Amex is emailing select cardholders to offer them renewal bonuses. These “appreciation credits” (what Amex is calling them) are statement credits following account renewal later this year, so they work slightly differently than normal retention offers.
Cards that we’ve seen receive offers
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: (up to $200 credit)
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card (up to $75 credit)
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card (up to $125 credit)
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card (up to $50 credit)
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (up to $50 credit)
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card (up to $50 credit)
Select personal Platinum cardmembers are also receiving a different credit — up to $200 towards the Amex Travel portal — for those that renew their card between April 1 and Dec. 31, 2020.
Although we have yet to hear of offers on other cards, there may be more in the works. An Amex spokesperson told TPG that “over the coming weeks and months, select Card Members will get access to additional offers upon their Card renewal to further support them and show our appreciation for their ongoing membership.”
Not everyone wins
Unfortunately, for those of us that just renewed their Amex cards earlier this year (myself included), it seems we’re out of luck. Travel has been curtailed for months now, so it would have been nice to see these credits offered to anyone who renewed an Amex card this year.
Amex is dangling carrots in front of select cardholders to entice them to renew their cards. Will this be enough for cardmembers to keep their cards? Time will tell. It will be interesting to see if you’ll be able to double-dip, combining both a targeted retention offer and these emailed renewal offers. At the very least, if you have a renewal date later this year, be on the lookout for an email from Amex.
Credit card news new perks and benefits recap:
- Amex announces limited-time perks for select Amex Membership Rewards, Delta, Marriott and Hilton cards
- Earn up to 5x on groceries across select Chase-issued travel cards
- Citi announces changes to help cardholders maximize benefits during coronavirus
- Marriott entices cardholders with 6x bonus on groceries
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum card, please click here.
Featured photo by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees