American Airlines Is on Its Last (Plastic) Straw
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is upping its commitment to the cause of saving marine life by cutting down on plastic — and its long-term goal should eliminate more than 71,000 pounds of plastic per year.
Last month, TPG rounded up travel companies’ big strides to ditch single-use plastic like straws, following Alaska’s initiative to phase out plastic stirrer straws and citrus picks. Starbucks even made a long-term plan to get rid of plastic straws on Monday. Since then, American has implemented a more extensive plan to cut its ecological footprint involving plastic straws.
At first the carrier’s plan was only was to cut plastic use in its Admirals Club locations, but now American will be expanding the goal to plastic on board its aircraft as well.
It’ll be replacing plastic straws in the lounges with biodegradable, eco-friendly straws and wood stirrer sticks starting this month. Plus, American lounges will transition their flatware to also be eco-friendly. By November, the on board changes will take place as plastic stirrer straws will be replaced with sustainable, eco-friendly bamboo ones.
In a statement, Vice President of Flight Service Jill Surdek said, “We’re cognizant of our impact on the environment and we remain committed to doing our part to sustain the planet for future generations of travelers.”
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.