This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is upping its commitment to the cause of saving marine life by cutting down on plastic — and its long-term goal should eliminate more than 71,000 pounds of plastic per year.
Last month, TPG rounded up travel companies’ big strides to ditch single-use plastic like straws, following Alaska’s initiative to phase out plastic stirrer straws and citrus picks. Starbucks even made a long-term plan to get rid of plastic straws on Monday. Since then, American has implemented a more extensive plan to cut its ecological footprint involving plastic straws.
At first the carrier’s plan was only was to cut plastic use in its Admirals Club locations, but now American will be expanding the goal to plastic on board its aircraft as well.
It’ll be replacing plastic straws in the lounges with biodegradable, eco-friendly straws and wood stirrer sticks starting this month. Plus, American lounges will transition their flatware to also be eco-friendly. By November, the on board changes will take place as plastic stirrer straws will be replaced with sustainable, eco-friendly bamboo ones.
In a statement, Vice President of Flight Service Jill Surdek said, “We’re cognizant of our impact on the environment and we remain committed to doing our part to sustain the planet for future generations of travelers.”
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards