The American LGBTQ+ museum is set to open in NYC by 2024
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York City is renowned for its array of museums. In three years, it will have a groundbreaking new addition to its roster when the American LGBTQ+ Museum will open its doors.
The museum will be the first in the city dedicated exclusively to gay history and cultural exhibitions. It will be located in an expanded section of the New York Historical Society on the Upper West Side. The Historical Society, which holds the distinction of being the city’s first museum (founded in 1804), is currently building out a five-story, 70,000-square-foot section to its location on 77th and Central Park West.
The LGBTQ+ Museum will occupy the entire top floor of that expansion once it is completed. The Historical Society learned Wednesday, according to The New York Times, that it is receiving $35 million in funding from the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council. That money will help the museum’s expansion to stay on track for its projected completion in 2024.
On its website, the LGBTQ+ Museum says, “The time has come to tell the story of LGBTQ+ people, commemorate and celebrate our journey, and inspire pride.”
It states its goal as being to enlighten, entertain, and expose visitors to LGBTQ+ culture as well as to preserve and showcase history that is otherwise unavailable or difficult to access.
Activists in New York’s gay community have discussed the idea of a museum for the queer movement for decades, board chairman Richard Burns told the Times.
“Suddenly we’ve reached this moment, a tipping point where more and more people are saying, ‘We better record this history, integrate it and celebrate it before we lose it,’” Burns said. “We don’t need museums about “Will & Grace” and Ellen DeGeneres. Those stories are told in popular culture. We need a museum that tells the untold stories of regular lived lives, activists’ lives, lives that were lost in queer New York and queer America.”
Featured photo by Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees