American Express Reimbursing Those Affected by Uber Credit Issue
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
One of our favorite perks of The Platinum Card® from American Express is the $200 yearly Uber credit, which comes in the form of $15 worth of Uber cash per month plus a $20 bonus (for a monthly total of $35) thrown in for December. It’s a great benefit to have and helps to offset high annual fee ($695!) of the card (see rates & fees).
However, last year, technical issues meant that users encountered issues during a switch from Uber credits to Uber Cash, in which they ended up paying for rides (or Uber Eats deliveries) rather than having their monthly credit applied.
As a result, American Express has started out mailing checks to those affected. As reported by Miles to Memories, one American Express Platinum cardholder received a letter in the mail that stated:
Because of a technical error at Uber, there was a delay in crediting your Uber Rides benefit in December 2018.
To make things right, we’ve enclosed a check to refund you for the amount of the fare(s) you paid in December, up to the amount of the unused benefit, plus applicable interest. Please treat this check as you would a personal check and deposit or cash it within 180 days of the date it was issued.
This is a solid move by Amex, as the issue itself appears to be the responsibility of Uber. Though it’s disappointing that have been difficulties with the Amex Platinum/Uber benefit, it’s really nice to see that Amex is stepping up for its cardholders by mailing out the difference lost in the form of a check.
If you need me, I’ll be at the mailbox…
Featured image photo by studioEAST/Getty Images
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.