American Express Reimbursing Those Affected by Uber Credit Issue
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of our favorite perks of The Platinum Card® from American Express is the $200 yearly Uber credit, which comes in the form of $15 worth of Uber cash per month plus a $20 bonus (for a monthly total of $35) thrown in for December. It’s a great benefit to have and helps to offset high annual fee ($695!) of the card (see rates & fees).
However, last year, technical issues meant that users encountered issues during a switch from Uber credits to Uber Cash, in which they ended up paying for rides (or Uber Eats deliveries) rather than having their monthly credit applied.
As a result, American Express has started out mailing checks to those affected. As reported by Miles to Memories, one American Express Platinum cardholder received a letter in the mail that stated:
Because of a technical error at Uber, there was a delay in crediting your Uber Rides benefit in December 2018.
To make things right, we’ve enclosed a check to refund you for the amount of the fare(s) you paid in December, up to the amount of the unused benefit, plus applicable interest. Please treat this check as you would a personal check and deposit or cash it within 180 days of the date it was issued.
This is a solid move by Amex, as the issue itself appears to be the responsibility of Uber. Though it’s disappointing that have been difficulties with the Amex Platinum/Uber benefit, it’s really nice to see that Amex is stepping up for its cardholders by mailing out the difference lost in the form of a check.
If you need me, I’ll be at the mailbox…
Featured image photo by studioEAST/Getty Images
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees