This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Thursday, American Express announced its collaboration with Parley for the Oceans in an effort to acknowledge and act on the issues that plastic pollution invokes.
In the near future, American Express customers will be seeing sustainable changes in the company’s products from credit cards to lounges. As part of the collaboration, American Express will be releasing its first-ever card primarily composed of up-cycled plastic from the ocean within the next 12 months.
Amex will also be adopting Parley’s guiding philosophy in the form of the acronym ‘AIR,’ which stands for Avoid, Intercept, Redesign. This means that, in the footsteps of Parley for the Oceans, American Express has committed to avoid single-use plastics, intercept plastic waste and redesign using existing plastic and other materials.
Beyond the new eco-friendly card it plans to launch, American Express plans to use less virgin plastic throughout its array of cards.
We’ll also be seeing changes in Amex Centurion Lounges. In the next 30 days, all Centurion lounges will have phased out plastic straws and stirrers. On a broader scale, all single-use plastic in the lounges will be phased out by the end of the year.
Earlier this week, TPG reached out to airlines and hotel chains to find out how the industry is cutting down on single-use plastics. As it turns out, companies are actively making changes toward less plastic.
Featured image courtesy of American Express.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees