American Express Is Surprising Some Platinum Cardholders With BLADE Gift Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is one of the most premium and luxurious travel rewards cards on the market, but with a $695 annual fee it’s important to study the Platinum’s many perks and benefits to make sure you’re getting a good return on your money.
Many of these benefits, like the $200 annual airline fee credit or $200 annual Uber credits, are easy to value, but it’s the soft, unadvertised perks that can really make you feel like a valued customer. From time to time, Amex has been known to surprise select Platinum cardholders with gifts ranging from Tiffany & Co. gift cards to Amazon Echos and more. Enrollment required for select benefits.
Doctor of Credit is reporting that a number of Platinum cardholders are now receiving in the mail $295 gift cards for BLADE helicopter rides. There’s no rhyme or reason as to who is being targeted for this extra gift, though it’s safe to assume that big spenders are more likely to receive some extra attention from Amex.
This is not the first time that Amex has sent out BLADE gift cards to Platinum customers, though it appears that the amount has been raised from $250 to $295. More importantly, this new round of gifts comes after the launch of “BLADE Continuous.” It’s now possible to get a helicopter ride from Manhattan to any of New York’s major airports (JFK, LaGuardia and Newark) all day long.
BLADE rides currently cost $195 each way, so a $295 gift card would be enough to cover a one-way trip with a little bit left over. If you use the promo code BRIANF&F you and TPG will each earn $50 in BLADE credits. You can apply a maximum of $50 in credit to each flight, dropping the cost to $145 and turning your $295 gift card into enough for a round-trip helicopter flight. Be sure to check out TPG’s Zach Griff reviewing the exhilarating five-minute ride to JFK on BLADE Continuous.
Featured image courtesy of Blade.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees