American Express Is Surprising Some Platinum Cardholders With BLADE Gift Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is one of the most premium and luxurious travel rewards cards on the market, but with a $550 annual fee it’s important to study the Platinum’s many perks and benefits to make sure you’re getting a good return on your money.
Many of these benefits, like the $200 annual airline fee credit or $200 annual Uber credits, are easy to value, but it’s the soft, unadvertised perks that can really make you feel like a valued customer. From time to time, Amex has been known to surprise select Platinum cardholders with gifts ranging from Tiffany & Co. gift cards to Amazon Echos and more.
Doctor of Credit is reporting that a number of Platinum cardholders are now receiving in the mail $295 gift cards for BLADE helicopter rides. There’s no rhyme or reason as to who is being targeted for this extra gift, though it’s safe to assume that big spenders are more likely to receive some extra attention from Amex.
This is not the first time that Amex has sent out BLADE gift cards to Platinum customers, though it appears that the amount has been raised from $250 to $295. More importantly, this new round of gifts comes after the launch of “BLADE Continuous.” It’s now possible to get a helicopter ride from Manhattan to any of New York’s major airports (JFK, LaGuardia and Newark) all day long.
BLADE rides currently cost $195 each way, so a $295 gift card would be enough to cover a one-way trip with a little bit left over. If you use the promo code BRIANF&F you and TPG will each earn $50 in BLADE credits. You can apply a maximum of $50 in credit to each flight, dropping the cost to $145 and turning your $295 gift card into enough for a round-trip helicopter flight. Be sure to check out TPG’s Zach Griff reviewing the exhilarating five-minute ride to JFK on BLADE Continuous.
Featured image courtesy of Blade.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.