This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Eagle regional flight aborted takeoff when the small jet hit a deer as it was speeding on the runway of a small Pennsylvania airport Tuesday morning.
The Embraer E-145 jet, which seats 50 people, was taking off from the Williamsport airport (IPT) just after 6am when the aircraft hit a buck that officials think jumped the airport’s fence. There were no injuries among the 43 passengers or three crew on board the flight, operated by Piedmont Airlines, an affiliate of American Eagle, which is an American Airlines subsidiary.
American Airlines confirmed the incident to USA Today, saying that the flight was canceled and the airline booked passengers on other American Eagle flights out to Philadelphia (PHL), where the original flight was heading.
The buck hit by the jet died, but the aircraft was not seriously damaged.
Animals holding up flights on runways is not an uncommon phenomenon. Earlier this year, jackrabbits were causing major problems on runways at airports across Ukraine, and in Florida a gator moseying across the runway held up a Spirit Airlines flight in June. The Philadelphia airport is no stranger to deer either — it borders a wildlife refuge choc full of them, and it is considering opening its gates up to crossbow hunters.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees