American Eagle Aircraft Hits Deer, Aborts Takeoff
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Eagle regional flight aborted takeoff when the small jet hit a deer as it was speeding on the runway of a small Pennsylvania airport Tuesday morning.
The Embraer E-145 jet, which seats 50 people, was taking off from the Williamsport airport (IPT) just after 6am when the aircraft hit a buck that officials think jumped the airport’s fence. There were no injuries among the 43 passengers or three crew on board the flight, operated by Piedmont Airlines, an affiliate of American Eagle, which is an American Airlines subsidiary.
American Airlines confirmed the incident to USA Today, saying that the flight was canceled and the airline booked passengers on other American Eagle flights out to Philadelphia (PHL), where the original flight was heading.
The buck hit by the jet died, but the aircraft was not seriously damaged.
Animals holding up flights on runways is not an uncommon phenomenon. Earlier this year, jackrabbits were causing major problems on runways at airports across Ukraine, and in Florida a gator moseying across the runway held up a Spirit Airlines flight in June. The Philadelphia airport is no stranger to deer either — it borders a wildlife refuge choc full of them, and it is considering opening its gates up to crossbow hunters.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.