American Eagle Aircraft Hits Deer, Aborts Takeoff
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Eagle regional flight aborted takeoff when the small jet hit a deer as it was speeding on the runway of a small Pennsylvania airport Tuesday morning.
The Embraer E-145 jet, which seats 50 people, was taking off from the Williamsport airport (IPT) just after 6am when the aircraft hit a buck that officials think jumped the airport’s fence. There were no injuries among the 43 passengers or three crew on board the flight, operated by Piedmont Airlines, an affiliate of American Eagle, which is an American Airlines subsidiary.
American Airlines confirmed the incident to USA Today, saying that the flight was canceled and the airline booked passengers on other American Eagle flights out to Philadelphia (PHL), where the original flight was heading.
The buck hit by the jet died, but the aircraft was not seriously damaged.
Animals holding up flights on runways is not an uncommon phenomenon. Earlier this year, jackrabbits were causing major problems on runways at airports across Ukraine, and in Florida a gator moseying across the runway held up a Spirit Airlines flight in June. The Philadelphia airport is no stranger to deer either — it borders a wildlife refuge choc full of them, and it is considering opening its gates up to crossbow hunters.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees