American Airlines to share MAX compensation from Boeing with workers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The grounding has affected the company’s bottom line as it’s attributed the suspension of various routes to the resulting aircraft shortage.
But now, some of its employees will see a boost in compensation as a result.
American reached a deal with with Boeing to be compensated for some of its losses, and the airline said it will pass some of that money along to its employees.
“Despite the ongoing challenges the grounding has brought, American Airlines team members continue to do an incredible job caring for our customers,” American CEO Doug Parker said in a statement on Monday. “On behalf of the Board of Directors, we are proud to take the step of including this compensation in our 2019 profit-sharing program, even though the compensation will be received over several years.”
The move is not a surprise. Though a deal with Boeing had not yet been reached, American has said previously – and as recently as last week – that it anticipated sharing some of the compensation with workers.
American’s agreement with the manufacturer follows a similar deal between Boeing and Southwest.
The global fleet of 737 MAX aircraft has been grounded since March, following two fatal crashes in five months that left 346 people dead. An automated flight control software known as MCAS is suspected of contributing to both disasters, and Boeing has been working with regulators, airlines and other stakeholders to address the problem — though a workable solution has been more elusive than initially anticipated.
With hundreds of aircraft grounded and hundreds more undelivered, Boeing has faced increasing pressure to respond, and compensate airlines for the unusable planes.
The manufacturer recently announced a temporary suspension of 737 MAX production, which it said would help it deal with the backlog more efficiently.
Featured photo courtesy of American Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees