This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yes, you read that right. American Airlines is convinced its Flagship First burger is so good that it stands a chance against more than 30 other New York favorites from Emily, Parm, Pig Beach, Shake Shack, Five Napkin Burger and more.
The airline put its burger on display at this weekend’s Burger Bash as part of the New York City Wine and Food Festival; we were in attendance as a guest of Capital One.
The burger is a single-grind sirloin patty on a brioche bun, topped with aged cheddar, red onions, arugula, beefsteak tomatoes — oh, and a bacon marmalade. You can find it at Flagship First lounges at JFK, LAX and MIA. Multiple TPG staffers have had it (including yours truly) and truth be told, it’s actually really good. The verdict from the crowd? They liked it — sometimes even more than some of the more buzzy names.
Craig Messmer, an attendee at the event, told CNBC that it was his favorite because “others had a lot of condiments that were too over the top.”
Even celebrity chef Andrew Zimmern called the burger’s entry into the competition “smart,” even though it eventually lost to… drum roll please: the New York Mets.
My personal favorite pick? The Emily burger. Sorry, American — I’m taking the upgrade on this one.
Featured photo by Ames Lai/Flickr
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that