American Airlines Thinks It Serves the Best Burger in New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yes, you read that right. American Airlines is convinced its Flagship First burger is so good that it stands a chance against more than 30 other New York favorites from Emily, Parm, Pig Beach, Shake Shack, Five Napkin Burger and more.
The airline put its burger on display at this weekend’s Burger Bash as part of the New York City Wine and Food Festival; we were in attendance as a guest of Capital One.
The burger is a single-grind sirloin patty on a brioche bun, topped with aged cheddar, red onions, arugula, beefsteak tomatoes — oh, and a bacon marmalade. You can find it at Flagship First lounges at JFK, LAX and MIA. Multiple TPG staffers have had it (including yours truly) and truth be told, it’s actually really good. The verdict from the crowd? They liked it — sometimes even more than some of the more buzzy names.
Craig Messmer, an attendee at the event, told CNBC that it was his favorite because “others had a lot of condiments that were too over the top.”
Even celebrity chef Andrew Zimmern called the burger’s entry into the competition “smart,” even though it eventually lost to… drum roll please: the New York Mets.
My personal favorite pick? The Emily burger. Sorry, American — I’m taking the upgrade on this one.
Featured photo by Ames Lai/Flickr
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.