American Airlines Takes You on a Walk Down Memory Lane With the MD-80
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’m sorry to say I’m not here with a secret hack to get a ticket. (More than a hundred of AA’s own employees are trying to do that as it is, without much chance of getting on board.) But I am here to show you a way you can still nerd out as the Mad Dog era winds down. American has compiled an interactive timeline on its website that takes readers through the history of its outgoing narrowbody workhorse. Click here to learn more about how the plane came to American in the first place, how the airline eventually grew to be the largest operator of the aircraft type, and some other cool trivia along the way, like how AA converted some of its MD-82s to longer-range -83s in-house.
Also, watch this space for more coverage of the MD-80’s final flight. Not to rub it in too much, but we’ll be there — to bring you inside the bittersweet retirement of an airplane that dominated the skies of the United States in the 1980s.
Featured photo by Etienne de Malglaive/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.