These Old Airline Blankets Get a Second Life at Animal Rehab Center
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What happens to blankets and bedding when they become too threadbare or worn to be provided to customers at a hotel or on an aircraft? In the case of some American Airlines blankets, they became bedding at an animal rehab center.
American Airlines sent six boxes of blankets to the Florida non-profit Wildlife Haven Rehab. A statement on the organization’s website says the non-profit is devoted to the rescue and rehabilitation of sick, injured or orphaned Florida wildlife.
After receiving the donation from the airline, a volunteer at the organization sent a thank-you email to the AA corporate contact who organized the blanket donation saying:
Thank you for the six boxes of beautiful blankets. We have made very good use of the supply we received. Several were made into sleeping slings, bedding for our animals and we even sent two boxes to the Carolinas and two boxes to North Florida for the hurricane relief efforts.
The volunteer also attached a photo of a mom and her baby raccoons in one of the slings the non-profit made with the donation.
The blanket used to the make the sling appears to be a pre-Casper American Airlines’ business class blanket.
One of the best ways to make your travel more environmentally friendly is to reuse and then recycle items — so we’re glad to see American Airlines donating their worn blankets to a good cause. If you’ve purchased new blankets, sheets or towels and don’t know what to do with your old ones, a local animal or wildlife shelter in your area might be happy to turn them into bedding for their animals.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees