These Old Airline Blankets Get a Second Life at Animal Rehab Center
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What happens to blankets and bedding when they become too threadbare or worn to be provided to customers at a hotel or on an aircraft? In the case of some American Airlines blankets, they became bedding at an animal rehab center.
American Airlines sent six boxes of blankets to the Florida non-profit Wildlife Haven Rehab. A statement on the organization’s website says the non-profit is devoted to the rescue and rehabilitation of sick, injured or orphaned Florida wildlife.
After receiving the donation from the airline, a volunteer at the organization sent a thank-you email to the AA corporate contact who organized the blanket donation saying:
Thank you for the six boxes of beautiful blankets. We have made very good use of the supply we received. Several were made into sleeping slings, bedding for our animals and we even sent two boxes to the Carolinas and two boxes to North Florida for the hurricane relief efforts.
The volunteer also attached a photo of a mom and her baby raccoons in one of the slings the non-profit made with the donation.
One of the best ways to make your travel more environmentally friendly is to reuse and then recycle items — so we’re glad to see American Airlines donating their worn blankets to a good cause. If you’ve purchased new blankets, sheets or towels and don’t know what to do with your old ones, a local animal or wildlife shelter in your area might be happy to turn them into bedding for their animals.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.